Lisbon Private Day Tour
With its modern architecture, from world-renowned architects like Santiago Calatrava from Cataluna, Spain; who conceived and designed, what for many people is considered the most beautiful train station in the world: “Estacao do Oriente”. This fantastic architecture is a mixture of iron and glass, resembling palm trees, inspired by the discovery of tropical Brazil by Portuguese seafarers in 1500.
We will then visit “Senhora do Monte” hill, where you will be overwhelmed with one of the most spectacular panoramic views of Lisbon, as well as of the estuary of the Tagus river. From the top of the hill, we will drive down to visit the “Se Catedral de Lisboa” (Lisbon’s old cathedral) built in 1148, one year after the conquest of the city from the moors, and built exactly in the same place of the old Moorish mosque.
A few yards away is Saint Antony’s church. Saint Anthony, known as St. Anthony of Padua (Italy) was born in Lisbon and the church was built at the exact place where he was born. As we cross the oldest neighbourhood in Lisbon, the Alfama district, you will see the tile covered facades of the old buildings, the narrow streets and alleys, and the old trams. It was in this unique environment that the Fado, the Portuguese national music, was born.
Time to visit Lisbon’s downtown, “Baixa” which was the most destroyed quarter of the city after the devastating earthquake of 1755. Here we will explain to you how this area evolved after the catastrophe, both architecturally and socially, to become the main business centre in the country.
As we drive up “Avenida da Liberdade” the Portuguese Champs Elysees, we reach the statue of the visionary Marquis of Pombal at the geographic centre of the city, where you will be briefed on the importance of this great statesman in Lisbon's history.
Time to visit the Belem quarter (Bethlehem), the monumental area dedicated to the great Portuguese seafarers of the 15th and 16th centuries. Here we will visit the Tower of Belem (the symbol of Lisbon), the monastery of St. Gerome (Mosteiro dos Jeronimos), a masterpiece of Portuguese 16th century architecture and a UNESCO World Heritage Monument, and the monument to the Discoveries. We will not leave the area without tasting the most famous pastry in Portugal: the “Pastel de Belem”, a delicious egg custard tart once made by the monks at Jeronimo’s monastery.
- Be amazed by the spectacular architecture
- See the statue of the visionary Marquis of Pombal
- Discover St Anthony’s church
- Taste Pastel de Belem delicious egg custard
- Explore the Belem quarter
- Visit Se Catedral de Lisboa (Lisbon’s old cathedral)
- Enjoy the views of Lisbon from Senhora do Monte hill
- Scheduling: Private Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English, French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Duration: 8 to 9 hours
- Skip the Line
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Instant Confirmation
- Pick-up serviceStarts and ends wherever you wish
- Easy CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel at least 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 50% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 3 and 6 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 100% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 2 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- Starts and ends wherever you wish
- Very comfortable vehicle
- Fresh water in the vehicle
- Pastel de Belem custard tart
- Certified English speaking driver
- Entrance tickets to monuments
- Be aware of your surroundings, unfortunately opportunist pickpockets are a worldwide problem.
- Remember your suncream