2-Day Inca Trail to Machu Picchu Trek from Cusco
You’ll begin your trek with a traditional Andean Blessing, then walk along the winding stone Inca trail to the beautiful archaeological site of Wiñaywayna.
Our guides specialize in providing you with the detailed information on Inca traditions and the secrets of Pachamama (the Earth Mother), creating a memorable and culturally informative trekking experience.
After a short day hike, be prepared to stand high above Machu Picchu and gaze down in awe of this modern archaeological Wonder of the World. You’ll leave with a much richer understanding and appreciation of Inca traditions than ever before.
This is a memorable 2-day trek, from pick up to drop off, with professional and knowledgeable guides.
- 3000 varieties of birds along the walk.
- The guide will be like your family.
- Feel different microclimates along the walk.
- Visit the famous Inca Trail of Peru.
- Observe different archaeological centers in the walk.
- Diversity of flora and fauna.
- Scheduling: Shared Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English, Spanish
- Duration: 2 days
- Printed Voucher Accepted
- Pick-up servicePick up from your hotel in Cusco at approximately 04:30am.
- Easy CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel at least 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 50% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 3 and 6 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 100% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 2 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- Instant Confirmation
- Transfer: train station – hotel in Cusco on Day 2
- Train ticket from: Ollantaytambo to Km. 104 and from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo. Default backpacker train service, higher-end Vistadome service available upon request (see below).
- Round-trip bus ticket: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes on the 2nd day.
- Bus ticket from Machu Picchu to the town of Aguas Calientes on the 1st day.
- First-aid kit, including emergency oxygen canister.
- Meals as listed, (1B, 1L, 1D). Vegetarian and other dietary requirements can be accommodated at no additional cost.
- Specialized Professional Bilingual Guide (2 guides for groups of 9 people or more).
- Inca Trail and Machu Picchu entrance fee.
- Pick-up from your hotel in the morning and transfer to Ollantaytambo train station
- Healing Activity – Andean Blessing by an Andean Priest for protection during your trek.
- Pre-departure briefing.
- Breakfast on the first day, lunch on the last day.
- Visit to the hot springs in Aguas Calientes. This is a relaxing way to end-up the trek while you’re awaiting the return train to Cusco. Only 10 minutes from the village center, entrance fee is Peruvian Soles s/10.00 per person.
We will pick you up from your hotel between 4:00 a.m. and 4:30 a.m. to catch the train to the trailhead at Km.104 of the Ollantaytambo – Machu Picchu railroad.
On arrival, we will visit the nearby ruins of Chachabamba and then begin the four-hour, 8km ascent to join the classic Inca Trail at the impressive Wiñaywayna archaeological complex. This consists of an agricultural sector with numerous terraces, plus religious and urban centers.
On the way up, we’ll take in magnificent views of the Urubamba River Valley, the Choquesuysuy archaeological complex on the opposite side of the river, and a beautiful waterfall minutes away from Wiñaywayna.
Leaving Wiñaywayna, an hour’s trek along a trail of flat stones on the edges of the highland jungle cliffs brings us to the ‘Intipunku’ (Sun Gate), the ceremonial gateway into Machu Picchu. We will get our first glimpse of the sacred citadel of Machu Picchu from here.
We will next descend to Machu Picchu and travel by bus to Aguas Calientes and our chosen hotel.
Total distance: 13 km (8.08 miles). Estimated walking time: 6-7 hours. Altitude at starting point: Chachabamba 2,150m (7052 ft). Maximum altitude: 2,650m (8,692 ft).
We will wake up early to board a bus to Machu Picchu, where we begin a 2-hour guided tour of the Inca citadel.
You will then have free time to walk around and explore the site, including climbing either Wayna Picchu or Machu Picchu mountains (advance reservation required – see below).
In the afternoon, we will be in the town of Aguas Calientes where, if you like, you can visit and relax in the hot springs.
From here, you will take the train back to the Ollantaytambo or Poroy train station, then return via private car to Cusco.
You have the option to stay in Machu Picchu Village (Aguas Calientes ) as many nights as you would like and climb Putucusi Mountain, hike to Mandor Waterfalls, relax at the hot springs or explore the Machu Picchu Site Museum. You have categories of accommodation to choose from one to five stars. * Departure and arrival times are approximate.
- A backpack with extra clothes
- Rain jacket or poncho (plastic ponchos can be purchased in Cusco)
- Footwear, ideally supportive hiking boots, but low-cut hiking shoes will also work.
- Camera, memory cards and batteries.
- Flashlight and batteries
- Hat or cap to protect you from sun, rain and cold
- Sunscreen moisturizer for face and bodyInsect repellent-minimum recommended 20% DEET – no malaria risk.
- Snacks: biscuits, energy bars, chocolate, fruit, etc…2 litres of water
- Swimsuit (if you wish to go to the hot springs in Aguas Calientes)
- Cash in soles and / or dollars
- Original International Student card. (In case you have applied for a student discount)
- Optional: walking sticks.