7 Day Best of Montenegro Tour
On this fabulous seven day six-night tour you will visit beautiful cities, fantastic beaches and stunning mountain towns, and where you will experience the best that Montenegro has to offer.
Explore Budva, which is famous for its nightlife, its squares and streets. There are many restaurants to enjoy, which are dominated by Mediterranean and Montenegrin cuisine. The city is one of the oldest on the Adriatic Sea and dates back to over 3,450 years ago. Most of the architecture is of Venetian origin, although there are many buildings from Roman times.
Budva has a large number of cultural and historical monuments, monasteries and churches that document past historical and social events in the area of the Budvanska Riviera. Among the most famous churches are the Church of St. John the Evangelist, built in the 7th century, the Church of Santa Maria “in Punta” from 840, and the church of the Holy Trinity from 1804. Budva is often referred to as the “metropolis of tourism” as it is the most visited destination in Montenegro and one of the most visited ones on the Adriatic.
Visit charming Perast, which is in the heart of the Bay of Kotor. Here you will find the remains of the Neolithic culture (dating back to 3500). Across the coast of Perast, there are two beautiful islands, Saint Đorđe, which is a natural island, and the man-made island of Our Lady of the Rocks. Legend says that on July 12, 1452, two fishermen found the icon of the Virgin Mary on the rock and that settlers thought it was a sign that the island and the church were to be built there. There were not enough rocks to build the church and people would bring rocks to the island, and this ritual is in place today as the throwing of stones around the island still exists.
The church itself was built in 1630 and is abundant with frescoes depicting scenes from the life of Jesus Christ, Virina and Prophena, as well as 2000 silver plates showing details of sea victories. In the museum is the famous needlepoint of the Virgin made with hair, and which is a work by Perastanka Kunić in 1828.
Enjoy beautiful Kotor, a city and municipality on the coast of Boka Bay. This town of merchants and sailors has a lot to offer, and Kotor Bay (Boka Kotorska) is one of the deepest and longest in the Adriatic Sea. The old Mediterranean archipelago is surrounded by impressive city walls and is very well preserved and included in the UNESCO list of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage. Between 1420-1797 Kotor was surrounded by Venice and Venetian influence stands out in the urban architecture.
Throughout the city, there are buildings, intertwined with streets and squares, and on one of them, there is the Cathedral of Saint Tryphon (XII century) dedicated to the patron of the town. The most imposing are, however, the city walls themselves that surround the city, and which are about 5 km long, 20m high and 10m wide. Climbing along the walls, you will arrive at the San Giovanni fortress at about 280m above sea level and from where you have terrific views.
The old town of Kotor also has a great number of restaurants and hotels where you can taste traditional specialities as well as varied Mediterranean food.
When you visit Tivat, you will see one of the largest marinas in the Adriatic Sea. Porto Montenegro has hundreds of yachts docked there; hence, it often gets called the ‘Montenegro Monaco’.
Beautiful Bar is a maritime city in Montenegro located in the south of the country, between the Adriatic Sea and Skadar Lake. It hosts a large number of cultural events during the summer period, such as concerts, exhibitions, book promotions, children’s festivals, and sports tournaments.
The Old Town is one of the most important archaeological sites in the world. Its streets are like cross-country guides, from the Greek colonies to the Middle Ages, the rule of Venetians to the Turkish period and up to the new era.
Near the town, in the Mirovica settlement, there is a monument dedicated to the Old Olive Tree. The tree itself is between 2,000 and 2,500 years old and is said to be one of the oldest trees in the world.
In Ulcinj, you will explore the city walls which date to the Illyrian period. You will experience a unique medieval atmosphere as you walk through the picturesque narrow winding streets.
Montenegro has numerous monastery’s, and you will explore many of these on your tour. When going to Cetinje monastery, you will learn that it is dedicated to the birth of the Virgin. It was built by Ivan Crnojević in 1484 and then became the seat of the Zeta Episcopy. In Cetinje monastery, there is a relic of St. Peter Cetinjski, one of the five bishops of the Petrović dynasty, and part of the Holy Cross on which Jesus was crucified.
Ostrog Monastery was built in the 17th century. It is located in the area of Bjelopavlići, on the cliffs of the Ostroška Greda, 25 km away from Nikšić. It was founded by the Herzegovinian metropolitan Vasily, who was buried in 1671 and later canonised. St. Vasily Ostroški is known as the Saints Wonderman. Believers of all religions from different parts of the world visit this monastery in large numbers.
Monastery Morača (built-in 1252) is one of the most monumental Orthodox medieval monuments in Montenegro. The monastery complex consists of a central church dedicated to the Virgin, and the small church of St. Nikola. Below the monastery, there is the waterfall of Svetigora which created a nearby brook that flows into the river Morača.
Located on the road between Podgorica and the Montenegrin coast is the small fishing village Virpazar. In the past, Virpazar was considered as strategically important, and the occupying Turks built a large fortress – Besac, on the hill above the village. After their fall, Virpazar became an important trading city. Today it serves as the main gateway to Skadar Lake National Park.
Skadar Lake is the largest lake in Montenegro and was declared a National Park in 1983. The lake has many islands and peninsulas with lots of history and valuable cultural heritage. Skadar Lake is a bird watchers paradise, it has 264 bird species, and about 90% of them are migratory and of international importance. This is also the only pelican habitat in southern Europe.
Žabjak is located at 1456 m above sea level and is the highest town in the Balkans. It is located in the very centre of the mountainous, where Durmitor mountain is the highest peak and is excellent for winter tourism. It is here where you will find the Tara Canyon, which is the second biggest canyon in the world after the Grand Canyon. Enjoy whitewater rafting on Tara river and visit the Black Lake, the largest and most famous of the 18 glacier lakes on the mountain.
At the end of this fabulous 7-day tour, you will realise that you have indeed seen the best that Montenegro has to offer.
- Explore Budva
- Boat tour to the island of Our Lady of the Rocks
- Kotor's famous monuments and squares
- Visit Morača Monastery
- See the famous Old Olive Tree
- Modern air-conditioned vehicles
- All transfers included
- Fully licensed travel guides
- The chance to visit stunning places in Montenegro
- Explore wonderful nature of National park Durmitor and Black lake
- Discover the largest lake on the Balkan peninsula in Skadar lake cruising tour
- Enjoy unique lunch 'under the sač' at the Local household
- Visit to Ostrog Monastery - the third visited monastery in Orthodox world
- Cetinje city tour - a small city museum with beautiful nature and promenade
- Enjoy The Great Beach - Ada Bojana
- Sightseeing of Old Town of Bar and Ulcinj
- Taking easy walk through Tivat and its luxurious marina Porto Montenegro
- Accommodation in Budva/Bečići ''the Queen of Adriatic'' and Podgorica city - The Capital of Montenegro
- Scheduling: Shared Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English
- Duration: 7 days
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Pick-up serviceWe will pick you up from either Podgorica or Tivat airport or Tivat / Kotor / Bar port
- Easy Cancellation30 days before the beginning of the travel free cancellation 29 to 20 days before the beginning of the travel 30% of total package amount as charges 19 to 15 days before the beginning of the travel 50% of total package amount as charges 14 to 10 days before the beginning of the travel 80% of total package amount as charges 9 to 6 days before the beginning of the travel 90% of total package amount as charges 5 to 0 days before the beginning of the travel or during the travel 100% of total package amount as charges
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 8 days before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- modern, air conditioned vehicles
- lunch at the restaurant in Žabljak, included 1 drink – juice, local wine or beer (6th day)
- lunch on Skadar Lake, included 1 drink – juice, local wine or beer (5th day)
- Skadar lake cruising – approx. 1 hour 30 min, donuts and local drink tasting during the Skadar Lake cruise (5th day)
- lunch at the Local household, included drinks and cakes (4th day)
- lunch at Ada Bojana, included 1 drink – juice, local wine or beer (3rd day)
- lunch in Kotor, included 1 drink – juice, local wine or beer (2nd day)
- boat ride to the Our Lady of the Rocks and back
- tourist tax
- tickets: Church of Our Lady of The Rocks, Old Olive Tree, Cetinje Monastery, Ostrog Monastery, Morača Monastery, National Park Skadar lake, National Park Durmitor
- licensed travel guide for tours provided by the program (in English)
- travel insurance
- road expenses and parking
- travel expenses
- residence tax and insurance
- 3 overnights in a double/triple room in Podgorica, hotel 4 * (BB)
- 3 overnights in a double/triple room in Budva/Bečići, hotel 4 * (BB)
- transfer airport (Podgorica or Tivat) or port (Kotor/Tivat/Bar) – hotel – airport (Podgorica or Tivat) or port (Kotor/Bar/Tivat)
- • Travel health insurance
- • Other non-program costs
- • ZIP LINE – Đurđevića Tara bridge
- • Visits to bars and restaurants not listed in program
- • Food and drinks not listed in program
- • Ticket for localities which are not listed in *Included in price
- • Transfer from the airport or port not listed in program
- • Licensed tourist guide by a specific language
Day 1 - Arrival at the airport (Podgorica or Tivat) or port (Kotor/Bar/Tivat). Accommodation in 4-star hotel in Budva/Bečići. Budva Old Town sightseeing. We will welcome you to the airport, and then head towards Budva, the beauty of the Adriatic.
Accompanied by a guide, you will see the Old Town, which respires with unity, walk in the winding streets, enjoy the view of the late Middle Ages squares that form a whole with solid ramparts, their towers and city gates, Orthodox and Catholic churches – approx. 1h:30min.
Free time for refreshment on one of the beaches. Check-in 4-star hotel in Budva/Bečići. Leisure time. Overnight stay. Budva is also famous for its nightlife, its squares and streets live deep into the night, so you can’t miss the opportunity and go out already on the first night in some of the famous discotheques or restaurants on the seashore, cafes, pastry shops, taverns.
Offer in Budva's restaurants is very diverse, dominated by Mediterranean and Montenegrin national cuisine, while in the foreground there are marine specialties along with unavoidable olives and wine.
Breakfast. Driving towards Perast – approx. 45 min. Arrival at Perast. Easy walk throught this beautiful coastal city. Boat riding towards the island of Our Lady of the Rocks. Visiting the 15th century church and museum (all about 1 hour). Taking ride around unique bay of the Mediterranean – Boka Bay, until we reach Kotor (approx. 30 minutes).
Arrival at Kotor. City walk accompanied by a tourist guide throught its Old Town, where you can see its famous monuments and squares - the Arms Market, Saint Tryphon Cathedral and square, Saint Luke’s church and square, Cats square – approx. 1 hour.
Lunch at one of the famous restaurants in the city. Free time. (about 1 hour). Driving towards Tivat (about 20 min). Free time for city tour and luxurious marina Porto Montenegro – approx. 1h. Drive to Budva - about 1 h. Back to the hotel in Budva/Bečići. Free time. Overnight stay.
Breakfast at the hotel. Driving towards Bar (lasting about 1h). Arrival at Bar, visit the temple of St. John of Vladimir, walk along the coast (approx. 1 hour).
Visit to the Old Town (approx. 1 hour). Visiting the Old Olive Tree (approx. 20 min) - the oldest tree in Europe. Driving towards Ulcinj (approx. 30 min). Arrival at Ulcinj, visit to the Old Town, Balšića Tower, Slave Market... (approx. 1 hour). Driving to the Great beach - Ada Bojana beach (approx.30 min).
Lunch at some of the traditional fish restaurants (approx. 1h 15 min). Free time (if you want) for beach enjoyment on the paradise island famous for its unspoiled nature (approx. 1 hour). Return to the hotel in Budva/Bečići. Free time. Overnight stay.
Breakfast at the hotel. Check - out. Driving towards Cetinje – approx. 1 hour. Arrival at Cetinje. City sightseeing: Cetinje Monastery, Ćipuri church, the former Njegoš’s residence - Biljarda, King Nikola’s museum, the Presidential Palace (duration approx. 1h). Visit to Lipa cave – optionally (for extra fee).
Continue to the Ostrog monastery (Nikšić municipality). Duration of driving around 1h and 30 min. Coffee break at the restaurant on the way to the monastery - optional (approx. 30 min). Arrival at Ostrog monastery. Free time for sightseeing of the upper and lower monasteries.
In the monastery we will bow to the relics of the great Saint Vasily Ostroški and hear and see incredible tales of Ostrog miracles (about 1h and 30min). Driving to the local household (approx. 1 hour) and enjoy tasty rich ‘’lunch under the sač’’ in unique ambient. Simply, plenty of food, drink, cakes… Return to Podgorica – approx. 1 h 30 min. Check - in hotel 4* in Podgorica. Free time. Overnight stay.
Breakfast at the hotel. Driving towards Skadar Lake - about 30 min. Arrival at Virpazar, a fishing village with charming stone houses. A short walk. Free time for climbing on the Besac fortress - the most attractive viewpoint on the Skadar Lake, or drinking coffee at one of the restaurants – optionally (approx. 20 min).
Start of cruising. The cruise lasts about 1 hour 30 min. You will see fishing villages, cultural and historical monuments, the flora and fauna of the lake, and take swim in the lake.
For refreshment on the boat, the host will serve us domestic products (delicious donuts, wine, brandy and juice). After cruise by boat, having lunch at the restaurant in an unrepeatable ambient – approx. 1 h and 30 min.
Swimming in Skadar Lake or some other activity - optionally. Return to the hotel in Podgorica. Free time. Overnight stay.
Breakfast at the hotel. Driving towards Zabljak - Duration of journey about 2h and 30 min. Arrival at Zabljak. Tour of the National Park – approx. 2h. Driving towards the Đurđevića Tara bridge – approx. 30 min.
Enjoying the view from one of the most beautiful bridges in Europe. Free time for refreshment at the bar near the bridge, walking by the bridge, or for those bravest ZIP LINE - optionally. Lunch – approx. 1h and 30 min. Return – approx. 2h and 30 min.
By the way visit to Morača Monastery (established in XII century) – approx. 30 min. Travel through Morača canyon. Arriving at the hotel in Podgorica. Free time. Overnight stay.
Breakfast at the hotel. Check – out. Free time. Transfer to the airport or port. The end of the arrangement.
- Use sunscreen in high season
- Wear comfortable walking shoes
- Dress according to the weather
- Travel health insurance (35 EUR per person) - optional
- ZIP LINE – Đurđevića Tara bridge - depending on the weather conditions (additional option for extra fee)
- Visit to Lipa cave - depending on the period of the year (additional option for extra fee)
- Surfing, kitesurfing, horse riding – Ada Bojana beach (additional option for extra fee – depending on the weather conditions)
- Transfer from other airport, port, hotel or accommodation in the region (additional option for extra fee)
- Licensed tourist guide by a specific language (additional option for extra fee)
- Tickets for localities which are not included in price (additional option for extra fee)
- Single room use (additional option for extra fee)
- Discount for infants (from 0 to 1,99 years) 90%, discount for children (from 2 to 11,99 years) 20%.
- Possibility of organizing tourist packages according to your wishes, budget and interests.
- No group size limit. For more than 20 people, price on request.
- The Organizer reserves the right to cancel the trip due to bad weather conditions.