3 hour Tour of Karen Blixen Museum and Giraffe centre
The Museum was opened to the public in 1986. Much of the original furniture is on display in the house, and combined with the beautifully landscaped gardens and encompassing view of the Ngong Hills, the Museum has continued to a be very popular destination for international and local visitors. The original kitchen has been restored and is now open for viewing. A Dove Stove similar to the one used by Blixen is on display, as are other period kitchen utensils.
Reconstruction of the coffee factory as an additional attraction is underway and other early farm machinery is also on display, depicting the early settler life in Kenya. Later proceed to the giraffe centre to see and feed the famous Rothschild giraffe. The giraffe centre was started by Jock Leslie-Melville, the Kenyan grandson of a Scottish Earl, when he and his wife Betty captured a baby giraffe to start a programme of breeding giraffe in captivity at their home in Langata - home of the present centre.
Since then the programme has had huge success, resulting in the introduction of several breeding pairs of Rothschild Giraffe into Kenyan national parks. The giraffe centre is located Langata, approximately 5 km from the centre of Nairobi, Kenya. It was established in order to protect the endangered Rothschild giraffe, Giraffa Camelopardalis Rothschild, that is found only in the grasslands of Africa.
In 1979, Leslie-Melville added an education centre to his (then still private) giraffe sanctuary. By 1983 he had raised enough money to establish the Giraffe Visitor's Centre as a tourist destination in Nairobi. The centre is also home to several warthogs which freely roam the area along with the giraffes. The main attraction for visitors is feeding giraffes from a raised observation platform.
- Giraffe Center
- Karen Blixen Museum
- Scheduling: Shared Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English, German, French, Italian
- Duration: 3 hours
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- All travellers pay the adult price
- Live GuideEnglish, German, Italian
- Pick-up servicePick up from Hotel/Airport in Nairobi.
- Disability ServicesWheelchair friendly.
- Easy CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel at least 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 50% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 3 and 6 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 100% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 2 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- Instant Confirmation
- Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 4 before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Transport by safari van
- Drinks and tips
- Please wear hats, sunglasses and appropriate footwear.