Mount Kilimanjaro Day Trek
A day tour to experience the thrill of Africa’s highest mountain.
An early morning pick-up from your hotel as we head for the Marangu Gate. While others around us are steeling themselves for the five or six-day trek to the summit, we aim more modestly for Mandara Hut.
While others will spend their first night there, on this trip we will use Mandara simply as a rest point before we return down the mountain.
We start our climb at 1900 meters above sea-level, and trek uphill, through rain-forest and with a glimpse perhaps of some blue monkeys. At these lower altitudes, there are good opportunities to observe a wonderful variety of mammals, birds, insects and plant-life, including towering eucalyptus trees and Colobus monkeys.
Our highpoint at Mandara will be 2720 metres, our total walking time can be up to 6.5 hours (including return journey). The rainforest is the main feature of today’s landscape.
Look out also for the bright red impatiens kilimanjari flower, a symbol of the mountain.
At the end of the climb, we see giant heathers and bearded lichen for the first time.
- Mount Kilimanjaro
- Observe a wonderful variety of flora and fauna
- Discover the African rainforest
- Marangu Gate
- Scheduling: Shared Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English, German, French, Spanish
- Duration: 1 days
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Online Invoice Accepted
- Live GuideEnglish, French, Spanish
- Pick-up serviceEarly in the morning pick-up from the hotel to Marangu gate.
- Easy Cancellation100% Cancellation fee for customers to cancel 30 days prior to the tour and 50% cancellation fee 31-45 days prior to the tour.
- Return Transfer to/from the gate
- Park entrance fee
At the gate you will meet with our well experienced guide who will give you brief information about the hike. We’ll register you at the Marangu Gate and then your adventure will begin. At first, the ridged trail is narrow as you wander through the rain-forest. It’s lush and misty, with the trees adorned with moss. The canopy overhead is alive with birdsong and strange rustlings – is that a colobus? Mongoose might scuttle ahead of you. You’ll also meet tired hikers descending from the summit. Give them a high five for effort. The hike to Mandara Hut is around three hours so stop to rest your legs and have a tasty lunch at the Hut and once you’ve replenished yourself, take the short but challenging walk to the Maundi Crater. On a clear day, the views to the east over Taveta and to the northwest to Mawenzi Peak are stunning. Don’t forget your camera! After basking in the beauty of it, you’ll hike back down to the Marangu Gate where our vehicle will be waiting for you to drive you, tired but happy, back to Moshi. This Kilimanjaro day hike is suitable for most people, even if you’re a little unfit!
- Bring snacks for the trek
- Pack rain gear in case of change in weather
- Remember to bring a camera
- Bring appropriate clothing for the weather