6 Days Kilimanjaro Climb - Machame Route
This is a beautiful climb, but technical climbing skills are required. Although a bit more expensive, this trek is now becoming very popular for frequent climbers.
The climb crosses the broad rainforest and gives you an open view of the glacier when you reach the Shira Plateau situated in the middle of the moorlands.
Compared to other six-day routes, the Machame route exposes the climber to higher elevations quicker (day three), which kick-starts the body's adaptation to altitude. However, this route requires that a person is in good shape to be able to tackle the challenging elevation gains and losses.
The six-day Machame variation is a difficult route. In particular, day four combined with day five makes for a very hard schedule. Day four is a full day of hiking from Barranco to Barafu. Then after dinner and a partial night's sleep, the very long and strenuous summit day begins around midnight. The 6 day Machame route requires 19-24 hours of demanding walking, at extremely high elevation, with only 4-6 hours of sleep.
- Enjoy trekking through Savannah forests
- Stunning views of the glacier
- Hiking in the rainforest
- Spectacular scenic views
- Scheduling: Shared Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English, German, French, Italian, Spanish
- Duration: 6 days
- Printed Voucher Accepted
- Instant Confirmation
- Pick-up serviceAirport pick-up drop-off at $80 per vehicle one way, or your Arusha hotel
- Easy CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel at least 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 50% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 3 and 6 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 100% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 2 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- Transfer from Arusha/park gate and back
- Guides, porters and cook
- Rescue fees
- Park fees, hut/camping fees
- All meals during climb
- Flying doctors temporary membership
- Mineral water, soft or alcoholic drinks
- Medical, luggage or personal insurance
- Mountain climbing gear (can be hired in Arusha)
- Tips gratuities
You will be picked up from your hotel in Arusha at 09:00 am and transferred to Machame. When you arrive at the Machame Gate in a 4WD vehicle, you will be introduced to your guide and porters.
After registration, you will start your climb and enjoy a picnic lunch through the rainforest before arriving at Machame Camp.
Later in the afternoon you will walk up to a little higher altitude for acclimatization and then return to Machame for dinner.
Total trekking time: 4-5 hours
Elevation: Machame Gate 1800m
Elevation: Machame Camp 3000m
Overnight: Machame Camp
After breakfast, you will start your climb through short Savannah forests and other vegetation for approximately 4 to 5 hrs, with a picnic lunch en route before arriving in the afternoon at the Shira Hut for dinner.
Total trekking time: 4-5 hours
Elevation Shira Camp 3800m
Overnight: Shira Camp
After breakfast you will take a slow walk through semi glacier and sandy areas with a picnic lunch before arriving at the Barranco Hut for dinner.
Total trekking: 3-4 hours
Elevation: Barranco camp 3950m
Overnight: Barrnco Camp
After breakfast and with a picnic lunch en-route, you will enjoy climbing through glaciers before arriving the Barafu Hut for dinner.
Total trekking: 4-5 hours
Elevation: Barafu Camp 4600m
Overnight: Barafu Camp
After an early wake-up call around 01.00hrs for preparation and a light breakfast you will start the final ascent to the summit, either the Stella Point reached in approximately 5 to 6 hrs and a further ascent to the Uhuru Peak reached in another approx. 45minutes.
After signing and short rest at Barafu hut you will descend via Gilman’s Point down to Mweka hut for an hours rest with light breakfast then descend down for dinner and overnight at Mweka camp.
Elevation: Stella Point 5750m
Elevation: Uhuru Peak 5895m
Overnight: Mweka Camp
After breakfast, you will begin your final descent to Mweka gate and where all climbers who made it to Uhuru Peak will receive their certificate.
After saying goodbye to your guide and porters you will take a private transfer to Arusha and dropped off at your hotel or Kilimanjaro airport.
- Tourist Visa will be obtained at the entry points, but it is advisable to double check before travelling to Tanzania
- Warm clothes, underwear and good walking boots
- Trainers for the evening
- You will need a water bottle (1-2 litres)
- A warm sleeping bag is necessary
- Remember to bring water purification tablets/solution and filter
- You will need a torch and walking poles
- Remember your suncream, lip salve and sunglasses
- Bring a first aid kit including blister plasters, headache tablets and personal medication
- Passengers should bring only duffle bags for safaris (not suitcases)
- All passengers must have Identification Card/Passport with them for internal flights
- Baggage on domestic flights is strictly limited to 15kgs per person (including hand luggage). Any excess baggage will be charged by the airline at check-in
- Passengers arriving to Tanzania may be asked to present a valid Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate