14 Days Kilimanjaro Trek, Marangu Route & Camping Safaris
Northern Tanzania Safari and Kilimanjaro trek Marangu Route has been referred to as the ‘Coca Cola’ route and this has led potential climbers to think that it is an easy route to the summit. This is far from the truth to be honest! The fact that it requires a minimum of 5 days to complete it does not mean that it is easier than any other route. The only reason that people say it is easier is because it is the only route up Kilimanjaro where you sleep in huts as opposed to tents. An optional acclimatization day at Horombo Huts is highly recommended for those with no prior trekking in altitude experience under their belt. Advance booking of hut accommodation is required to avoid any inconveniences. The route starts from the park headquarters in the village of Marangu and heads straight westwards towards Kibo. The trail goes through lush rainforest, heath and moorland to alpine desert and ultimately the arctic zone at the peak and same route down.
The remainder of this tour will bring you to Tarangire National Park, Central Serengeti National Park and Ngorongoro crater where you will experience thrilling Game Drives and unforgettable nights by the campfire.
- Transportation in a 4WD Safari Vehicle
- 3 Meals per day
- Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti Plains National Park
- Mount Kilimanjaro -Professional Trekking Crew for
- Private Safari Professional Driver Guide
- Languages offered on activity/tour: English
- Duration: 9 to 10 hours
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Instant Confirmation
- Live GuideEnglish
- Pick-up servicePick up from Kilimanjaro International Airport
- Easy CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel at least 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 50% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 3 and 6 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 100% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 2 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- Drinks and mineral water
- 3 meals daily while on the mountain & Safari
- 18% VAT on tour fees & services
- Pre & Post Trek accommodation at Arusha
- 2 Way private airport transfers
- Transportation to & from the mountain gate
- rofessional mountain guides, cooks and porters
- Park fees, camping fees & rescue fees
- Tips and gratuities
- Entry visas
- Items of a personal nature
- Travel insurance
- International and local airfares
- Items of personal nature
Our experienced guide will pick you up at the Kilimanjaro International Airport and transferred to your arranged hotel in Arusha.
Starting your first full day, you will spend exploring the Arusha National Park.
Set between the towering peaks of Mount Meru (4,566 m) and Mount Kilimanjaro (5,895m), the park has a varied landscape ranging from the lush swamps and mixed woodlands of the Ngurdoto Crater, soda and fresh water of Momela Lakes, to open savanna.
The park is especially noted for the large concentration of unusually tame Masai Giraffes, but the forested rim of the Ngurdoto Crater is a good vantage point to see other mammals grazing on the crater floor, including African Buffaloes, Thompson’s Gazelle, Common Zebra and African Elephants.
In the forest, we are likely to see Bushbuck, Harvey’s Duiker, the photogenic Blue Monkey and the Black-and-white Colobus Monkey foraging in the tree-tops. Lesser Flamingos abound in the alkaline Momella Lakes.
• Main destination: Arusha town
• Accommodation: Gold Crest Hotel
After breakfast, you will be collected from your lodge in Moshi and taken to the Marangu gate (1860m).
Once the necessary paper work has been completed, your trek can begin and you will soon be hiking through the dense rainforest.
Alongside the impressive vegetation, you will have the chance to catch a glimpse of some primates as you head to the Mandara Hut (2700m).
After a well-earned rest, your guide can take you to the Maundi Crater where you can enjoy the wonderful view of the Kenyan interior.
• Distance covered: 8.3km / 5.2mi
• Approx. time taken: 5 hours
The day begins with an early breakfast.
Shortly after you have leave Mandara Hut (2700m), you will reach the timberline and then enter the heath and moor zone.
Approximately 4 – 6 hours later, the Horombo Hut will come into sight, standing at an altitude of 3700m.
From the hut, you will have fantastic views overlooking Mawenzi, Kibo and the wide plain of the Masai steppe.
• Distance covered: 12.5km / 7.8mi
• Approx. time taken: 9 hours
Today serves as an acclimatization day. This should not be underestimated and greatly improves your chance of success in reaching the summit.
After a relaxing breakfast, a 4-hour trek follows to the Zebra Rocks (4020m). The distinctive black and white stripes give the rock formation its name.
On your return to Horombo Hut, a warm lunch will be waiting for you.
You can relax in the afternoon and regain your strength for the hike the following day.
• Distance covered: 5km / 3.1mi
• Approx. time taken: 4 hours
Today’s stage is long and tough.
The well-built trail passes the “Last Water point” which is followed by the so-called “saddle”. This nearly vegetation less plateau joins the main summit Kibo with Mawenzi.
Today’s destination is the Kibo Hut (4700m) that is usually reached in about 5 - 6 hours.
Here, you will enjoy an early evening meal followed by an early night, as the night will be short.
• Distance covered: 9.5km / 5.9mi
• Approx. time taken: 7 hours
Today is “The Big Day” - the summit stage.
You will begin your final ascent around midnight which will be long and strenuous.
Passing the Hans Meyer Cave at 5220m, the climb slowly but surely goes upwards.
At sunrise, you will reach Gillman’s Point (5681m) – the crater rim of Kilimanjaro – where the sun will slowly start to warm up the land.
You will have soon forgotten the cold of the night and after a further hike of 1 - 2 hours, you will reach Uhuru Peak at 5895m.
On your return to Kibo Hut, a warm meal awaits you followed by a 1 - 2 hour break before proceeding back down to Horombo Hut.
• Distance covered: 22km / 13.7mi
• Approx. time taken: 9 – 10 hours
The last stage passes through the heath and moor zone to the Mandara Hut (2700m) where a warm lunch is waiting for you.
Soon, you will once again pass the tropical rainforest and after a total time of 6 hours trekking, you will be back at the Kilimanjaro National Park Gate (1860m) saying goodbye to your mountain crew.
Once there, you can take a warm and relaxing shower and celebrate your success in reaching the summit of the Kilimanjaro.
• Main destination: Arusha Town
• Accommodation: Gold Crest Hotel
Departure from Arusha town to Masai Village then spend overnight at Tented Camp Tarangire area,
• Main destination: Tarangire National Park
• Accommodation: Tented Camp
Full day game Drive in Tarangire National Park which is famous for its large herds of up to 300 hundred elephants and majestic Baobab trees. The rolling hills will provide you with magnificent views over the landscape.
• Main destination: Karatu /Ngorongoro
• Accommodation: Farm of Dreams Lodge
After breakfast with picnic lunch and wildlife viewing on the way, you will head towards the endless plains of the Serengeti which will leave you breathless.
More than two million wildebeests and more than a million zebra's roam the plains.
This huge amount of animals attracts big groups of predators like lions, cheetahs, leopards and hyena's.
Thousands of antelope's are grazing while groups of elephants and giraffes wander through the plains.
• Main destination: Central Serengeti National Park
• Accommodation: Tented Camp
With a wake-up coffee/tea, you will be able to sit outside your tent, enjoy the sunrise over the Serengeti and listen to the dawn calls of the African wilderness. Magic!
We will explore the South Serengeti today and are likely to see some wildebeest migration game and the prides of Lions typically lurk around the woodland edges, where we also stand the best chances to see a Leopard.
Spotted Hyenas are common as well as golden and Black-backed Jackals, Servals, Honey Badgers and Bat-eared Foxes
• Main destination: Serengeti National Park
• Accommodation: Tented Camp
After breakfast, you will start with a morning safari with picnic lunch.
In the afternoon you will transfer via the Ngorongoro Highlands to the Ngorongoro crater with wildlife viewing on the way.
Dinner and overnight will be at the Farm of Dreams Lodge located in Karatu.
• Main destination: Ngorongoro/Karatu
• Accommodation: Country Safari Lodge
In the morning after breakfast, you will transfer back to Arusha where you will say goodbye to your host driver/guide at the Arusha airport
Main destination: Kilimanjaro International Airport,
- As a general guide, we recommend that you bring comfortable, casual wash-and-wear clothes on safari. Please note that muted colors are recommended for game-viewing
- Game Drives are conducted in the early morning and later afternoon, which can be very cold, especially in winter
- The most practical items to pack for safari are:
- Bring a jacket/sweater for early morning and evening game drives and a lightweight water-proof jacket
- Comfortable walking shoes are a must
- Shorts or a light skirt during the day and jeans/safari trousers for evenings and cold days
- Shirts with long sleeves is advisable (even in summer as protection from the sun and mosquitoes)
- For Game Drives, you should wear t-shirts in khaki, green, beige or neutral colors
- Swim and beachwear should always be packed
- If you own binoculars and camera equipment, you should bring them
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, insect repellent, moisturizer and lip-salve are all essentials
- Gratuities / Tipping
© Copyright 2017 Private Tour Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission!
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of Private Tour Inc.'s Terms & Conditions.