The 'Matale' Tour of Sri Lanka from Kandy
Our private tour begins at 0800 hrs when your vehicle picks you up from your Kandy hotel. Ensure that you bring a packed breakfast with you, if you are unable to have your meal at the hotel.
It will take one and half hours to reach your first destination, Nalanda Gedige in Matale . Nalanda Gedige is an old Dravidian (Pallava era) structure believed to have been built between the 8th to 10th century. At first view it’s an obviously Hindu temple from the detailed wall and roof architecture, to the little windowless main shrine. However, the ruins of the erotic tantric sculptures, and plain moonstone point to a more Buddhist origin.
After viewing this structure and discussing it with your tour guide, you will be leaving for Euphoria Spice and Herbal Gardens at approximately 1030 hrs . You will get there by 1045 hrs where you will initially receive a one hour tour of the spice and herbal gardens. During the tour you will get to know more about the different spices and herbs, as well as how they are grown and harvested. You will leave the spice gardens at approximately 1145 hrs for the rest of your tour.
It will take up to approximately 1215 hrs to get to Aluvihara, which is supposed to mean ‘light temple’ or ‘cave with light’ based on two different beliefs. Aluvihara is most famous as the place of creation of the Buddhist religious script ‘Triptaka’. The stupa is literally built on top of a large rock. Meanwhile, the rock itself is riddled with a cave system. As of present 13 caves have been found, with many more buried under old cave-ins. You will have to climb up and through the rock to see the historic and interesting insides of these caves and learn more about the history within.
After an interesting hour spent poring over the interesting sights you will be leaving Aluvihara at approximately 1315 hrs and spend some time having lunch at one of the good restaurants in the area (At your own expense). Thereafter visit to Sembuwatta Lake located in the Elkaduwa area. (Travel Time 1 to 1 ½ hrs) You will get there approximately by 1600 hrs. Sembuwatta is an artificial lake made from a natural spring in the area. It’s famed for its amazing views and natural swimming pool.
You will be spending a relaxing hour here, allowing you to take some spectacular photos with the setting sun. You will be leaving the lake at 1730 hrs and returning to Kandy by 1900 hrs completing your tour.
- An optional complimentary sunset visit to Sembuwatta.
- A chance to see the secretive caves and learn the history of the rock temple Aluvihara.
- Get a first-hand experience and knowledge about spices and herbs, and how they are grown.
- Discover the Hindu-Buddhist fusion architecture of Nalanda Gedige
- Scheduling: Private Tour
- Languages offered on activity/tour: English
- Duration: 11 hours
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- A minimum of 2 adults is required to book this tour
- Pick-up servicePick up from your hotel in Colombo or Kandy.
- Easy CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel at least 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 50% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 3 and 6 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 100% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 2 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- Instant Confirmation
- Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 24 hours before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- All Taxes & Service Charges.
- Hotel Pick & Drop
- Tuk Tuk Ride to Sembuwatte Lake.
- Service of an English-Speaking Chauffer Guide.
- Transport throughout the tour with an air-conditioned vehicle.
- Expenses of Personal Nature.
- Gratuities (Optional).
- Food or Drinks.
- Entrance Fees (Nalanda Gedige, Aluvihara, Sembuwatta Lake).
- Please include your hotel/accommodation name and address when making your booking.