Elephant Explorer Tour From Kandy
You will be starting the Elephant Explorer Tour at 7:30 am when you will be picked up from your hotel in Kandy. You will then be making the hour and a half drive to Pinnawala where the Elephant Orphanage is. The orphanage was opened in 1975 in order to take care of elephants that had been orphaned due to various reasons. The Elephant Orphanage is also used to give medical assistance to injured elephants, before releasing them back to the wild. The place currently has a herd of approximately 90 elephants.
You will be spending some time in Pinnawala feeding the elephants and watching them bathe. You will also be able to get more information on elephants. You will be leaving for Minneriya at approximately 10:30 am. It will take a travel time of 3 hours to reach the Minneriya National Park. You can also spend an hour or so having lunch on the way at a place of your choice. You will be reaching the park and starting on your safari at 2:30 pm Minneriya National Park is famous for its annual Great Elephant Gathering that happens between August and October.
The event sees a congregation of over 150 elephants from the areas all around Minneriya, including other nature reserves and parks, gathering on the shores of the Minneriya Reservoir. However, even during the other months, you can still see some elephants, resident in Minneriya Park itself, visiting the Minneriya reservoir in the evening. In addition to the elephants, the national park also has other wildlife such as deer, langurs, sloth bears, crocodiles, snakes and many kinds of birds.
You will be having a three-hour safari in the park. You will probably be able to catch sight of at least a few elephants as the sun sinks. If you were lucky enough to visit during the Elephant Gathering months you may also be to see of the world’s biggest herd of Asian elephants gathered together in one place. Your safari will also enable you to see some of the other fauna of the park. You will be finishing your safari at 5:30 pm and will be returning to your hotel. You will get back to your hotel in Kandy by 8:30 pm, completing your tour.
- Spend some time in Pinnawala feeding the elephants and watching them bathe
- Have your lunch on the way to Minneriya National Park
- Get the chance to see other wildlife such as deer, langurs, sloth bears, crocodiles, snakes and many kinds of birds
- Scheduling: Shared Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English
- Duration: 12 to 13 hours
- Printed Voucher Accepted
- A minimum of 2 adults is required to book this tour
- Pick-up servicePick up from your hotel in Kandy.
- Easy CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel at least 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 50% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 3 and 6 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 100% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 2 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 24 hours before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Transport in an air-conditioned vehicle
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- English speaking chauffeur/guide
- Safari Jeep Ride at Minneriya National Park.
- Expenses of Personal Nature and Entrance Fees to Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage & Minneriya National Park
- Gratuities (Optional)
- Food or Drinks
- We recommend you wear suitable clothing for this tour. In the summer months, please bring with you hats, sunscreen and sunglasses as we cannot provide these.