Hluhluwe Imfolozi Game Reserve Tour From Durban
The adventure begins when we pick you up from your hotel in Durban.
Set out on a day-long safari to Hluhluwe Imfolozi Game Reserve which is one of Africas oldest nature reserves.
The reserve is home to the worlds largest white rhino population.
Here you will get the chance to see Africas big five roaming the flourishing Savvanah in a closed vehicle game drive.
You might even get the chance to look at some cheetahs and hyenas and make sure you keep an ear out for the colourful birds and the hippos and crocs in the waters.
Lunch is at the award-winning Hilltop Camp(extra charge) which has the most incredible views over the whole reserve.
- Discover Africas wild life in Isimangaliso Wetland Park
- Visit Emdoneni wildcat sanctuary and rehabilitation centre
- See first hand Africas Big Five roaming freely
- Tour Hluhluwe Imfolozi game reserve, see a lion up close and personal
- See the white rhino in his natural habitat, one of the oldest reserves in Africa
- Scheduling: Shared Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English
- Duration: 2 days
- Printed Voucher Accepted
- There is a supplement for single occupancy
- This tour is available all year round
- All ages are welcome on this tour
- Pick-up serviceHotel pick up and drop off from hotels in central Durban.
- Disability ServicesWe cater for people with disabilities or special needs.
- Easy CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel at least 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 50% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 3 and 6 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 100% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 2 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- Instant Confirmation
- Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 24 hours before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Entrance fees
- Pick up and drop off from your hotel
- Professional guide
- Accommodation at Hilltop or Mpila Camp
- Boat Safari
- Sunset Open Vehicle Safari
- Closed Vehicle Safaris
- Dinner and breakfast
- Food and Drink
- Other services not mentioned
- Personal expenses
The tour departs from Durban heading northward along the coast to northern KwaZulu-Natal.
The first stop is the town of St Lucia and the estuary inside the iSimangaliso Wetlands Park where you will board a riverboat for a 2 hours guided tour of the estuary.
The local guide will inform you of the reserves history and its incredible wildlife.
The iSimangaliso Wetlands Park was declared South Africa's first Natural World Heritage Site in 1999 and previously known as the Greater St. Lucia Wetland Park.
The UNESCO site dates back over 120 years and was established in 1895.
The reserve is considered South Africa's third largest park with its’ unique ecosystem spanning over 280km of near pristine coastline and 328 000 hectares of magnificent scenery.
The protected area is home to one of the largest population of hippopotami in South Africa as well as an estimated 1000 crocodiles.
Isimagaliso has a wealth of plant, bird and animal life, including lion, zebra, African elephant, leopard, giraffe, black and southern white rhino and fish eagles.
After the boat tour, you will travel to the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Game Reserve where your experienced guide will show you around the park in search of the diverse wildlife and the big 5.
Hluhluwe Imfolozi Game Reserve is set in the heart of Zululand where Africa’s Big 5 (Lion, Elephant, Leopard, Buffalo and Rhinoceros) roam the flourishing savannah.
Established in 1895 this is the oldest park in South Africa and encompasses over 98 000 hectares of the beautiful African landscape.
This tour is in a closed vehicle. The Park contains an immense diversity of fauna and flora and is characterised by hilly topography.
The list of animals at the park is long and varied. Hluhluwe Game Reserve makes up the northern top half of the reserve which is renowned for its diverse variety of bird and animal life.
South of Hluhluwe is the Imfolozi Game Reserve which makes up half of the park.
These two reserves were joined together to create the largest reserve in KwaZulu Natal.
The Hluhluwe Imfolozi Reserve is noted for its White Rhino conservation. Their Centenary Capture Centre is celebrated for its exceptional research in animal capture, rehabilitation and release as well their approach to sustainable ecotourism in South Africa.
After the boat tour, you will travel to the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Game Reserve and upon entering the National park, your experienced guide will drive slowly through the park on route to Hilltop Camp or Mpila Camp.
After settling in you will embark on a 3 hour Open-Vehicle Safari during sunset with the local guide.
After the drive dinner is served at the camp.
The day starts early with a closed vehicle morning safari before breakfast.
After a hearty breakfast at the camp, you will continue with the safari experience in the closed vehicle.
After leaving the park, you will visit the local market in the town of Hluhluwe before moving onto the Emdoneni Wild Cat Project.
Emdoneni Cat Project offers a guided tour of South Africa’s endangered wild cat species.
The aim of the Emdoneni Cat Project is to care for the various wild cat species which have been orphaned or injured in the wild and need care and rehabilitation.
Emdoneni’s guided tour offers visitors a unique and exciting opportunity to literally get up close and personal with their magnificent cat species.
There are four species of wild cats at Emdoneni; African Wildcat, Caracal, Cheetah and Serval.
This once in a lifetime opportunity can be enjoyed whilst being educated on a tour.
After the tour, we start the two hours journey back to Durban for your drop off.
- Any person under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult
- Wear comfortable footwear and clothing
- Additional cost for Dumazulu cultural park or Emdoneni wild cat sanctuary