Medan Multicultural and Colonial Charm Combined Tour
Our guide will meet you at the hotel or another meeting point as agreed. Driving through the sprawling and bustling city with busy streets lined with new offices and shopping blocks and thronged with minibuses as well as noisy motorized becak and encounter: The Great Mosque, one of the Sultan of Deli’s legacies constructed in 1906, also the largest and most beautiful mosque in Northern Sumatera with its imposing tiled archway and royal burial ground. Its tall water tower was adopted as a symbol of the municipality of Medan.
Next Sultan’s Maimoon Palace” the ceremonial palace of the Sultans of Deli with it's yellow trim & typical east coast Malay architecture with living quarters occupied by the Sultan's families established in 1888 and became the centre of the Deli kingdom. A Karo Batak Style open pavilion was built to house the Meriam Buntung – the stub of an ancient iron, which is associated with the legendary of Green Princess – the heroine of Deli’s war against Aceh in the 16th century.
Café Tip Top; once a favourite haunt of Medan’s colonial society still serving old-school ice cream and dessert Tjong A Fie Mansion; a double-storey mansion in Medan built by Tjong A Fie (1860-1921) a Chinese merchant, the wealthiest resident of Medan at his era.
It is one of the most impressive historic building due to its hand-painted ceilings, imported dark-wood furniture inlaid with marble and mother-of-pearl, interesting art pieces, an upstairs ballroom and Taoist temples Walk to Pajak Ikan Lama market, selling a large selection of contemporary textiles including batik where local people shop for attire on special occasions such as weddings and Muslim festivals.
We will then head to the town square passing colonial buildings: Town Hall, Bank of Indonesia building (formerly the Javaasche Bank), Inna Dharma Deli Hotel, which incorporates the old DeBoer Hotel with stop at the Post Office, which stands virtually unchanged being domed shape and decorated with stained glass windows & a chandelier Kampung Keling; a busy commercial center, is as its names implies the original centre of Medan's Indian community with the famous high walled Sri Mariamman Temple; Medan's oldest Hindu Temple built in 1881 for worship Goddess Mariamman with Gopuram; gate decorated with storey tower or a small ornamental pyramidal gateway.
Next Vihara Gunung Timur being one of the largest Chinese temples in Medan, which has 3 colorfully painted double leafed timber doors as big entrance-hall bordered with granite columns and a collection of Buddha, Chinese deities & ancestor tablets, which cause the air may be filled with the smell of burning incense and the sounds of Buddhists praying where a big portion of the Chinese community in Medan still practice an esoteric form of Buddhism imbued with Taoism. Drive through the Polonia area, which was the fashionable colonial district.
- visit Hindu and Chinese Temples
- Visit Textile Market
- Visit Grand Mosque - Maimoon Palace
- Private air-conditioned vehicle
- Free pick up and drop off from select hotels in Medan City
- Scheduling: Private Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English
- Duration: 6 hours
- Printed Voucher Accepted
- Pick-up servicePick up from hotels in Medan City.
- Easy CancellationCancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 3 days before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Bottled water and wet tissue
- Entrance and parking fees
- English-speaking guide (other language is subject to surcharge and availability)
- Hotel pick-up and drop off within Medan city
- Private air-conditioned transportation
- Other services not clearly indicated in the inclusions.
- Items of personal nature ( tipping, souvenir)
- Food, drinks other than mentioned
- No refunds will be made if guests are not taking certain service included in the package