Derry Walls Private Walking Tour
The Derry Walls Walking Tour will take you through the oldest history of Derry and the surrounding area.
Derry is one of the longest, continued used area in Ireland dating back some six thousand years. St Colmcille set his monastery on the island of Doire in 546 before going to Iona in the western isles of Scotland bringing Christianity to Britain.
Other areas examined on this tour are Elizabeth I advance into Ulster bringing Anglicization and the Protestant religion. The Irish response to this invasion was the Nine Years War 1594-1603 and ending with the Flight of the Earls in 1607.
The Plantation of Ulster brought thousands of English and Scots Protestants to Ulster and the building of the City Walls from 1613.
Derry became Londonderry under James I and was financed by the Guilds of London where the Guildhall gets its name.
The Siege of Derry, The Fountain Estate, Derry Gaol, Apprentice Boys, Great Hunger and emigration are areas that are covered on this tour also.
This walking tour is conducted on Derry's walls while walking the 1.4 km circuit of the walls.
- Walk the only fully walled city in Ireland or Britain.
- View the city of Derry from the heights of Derry's walls.
- Explore the many cannons on the walled city tour.
- Scheduling: Private Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English
- Duration: 90 minutes
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Ship to shore “Stress-free” tour guarantee.Get a full refund for non-docking ships or late port arrivals.
- Easy CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel at least 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 50% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 3 and 6 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 100% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 2 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- Instant Confirmation
- Knowledgeable Tour Guide
- Pick up and Drop Off
- Irish weather is unpredictable so come prepared.
- Wear comfortable footwear for walking