Drakensberg Cave Paintings & Mandela Capture Site Private Tour from Durban
This Tour leaves from Durban and passes through Pietermaritzburg the capital city of Kwazulu. You will embark on a 40-minute walk to the main caves which house exhibits of san rock art. Our live site guide will explain in detail the history and meaning behind these ancient paintings.
We then head towards the Giants Castle Reserve in Drakensburg Mountain range.
Giant's Castle camp is situated on a grassy plateau among the deep valleys running down from the face of the High Drakensberg, offering glorious views at Giants Castle reserve, there is a large sandstone cave containing prehistoric San rock art.
The San and Khoe people were hunters and gatherers who roamed South Africa for 1000s years. This cave is one of the biggest and best preserved painted sites in southern Africa. This cave is an easy 30 minutes’ walk from the camp office and regular guided tours are taken through this unique exhibition from 09:00 to 15:00 daily.
A visit to Giant's Castle offers the privilege of entering the world of the San as well as the opportunity to study a varied and exciting range of habitats.
From there we head to Howick to visit the Nelson Mandela Capture Site Statue and Apartheid Museum. The museum is dedicated to Nelson Mandela’s life and his struggle against Apartheid.
- Visit The Nelson Mandela Capture Site
- Admire The Kamberg Bushman Rock Paintings
- Enjoy the Expertise of a Local Guide
- Discover The Midlands Meander
- Visit Pietermaritzburg
- Visit Howick Falls
- Guided tour of the Sandstone cave paintings of the San people
- 30 Minutes Easy Scenic Walk to the Sandstone Cave Paintings
- Visit Drakensberg Giants Castle Nature Reserve
- Be Astonished at Artist Marco Cianfanellis Stimulating Steel Sculpture at The Nelson Mandela Capture Site
- Scheduling: Private Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English
- Duration: 10 to 11 hours
- Printed Voucher Accepted
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infants (0-4) are free of charge
- Pickup & drop off service within a 10km radius of Durban
- Minimum 2 Maximum 12 people per booking
- Departure Time is 06:30 - Return Time is 18:30
- Our Tour is Welcome to All Ages
- Our Tour is Available all year round
- Live GuideEnglish
- Pick-up serviceHotel pick up and drop off from Hotels in central Durban
- Disability ServicesOur Cars Accommodate People with Disabilities
- Ship to shore “Stress-free” tour guarantee.Get a full refund for non-docking ships or late port arrivals.
- Easy CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel at least 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 50% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 3 and 6 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 100% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 2 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- Collection and drop off from Durban in an air-conditioned vehicle
- Accompanied by a Qualified Tour Guide
- All Entrance Fees to all Attractions
- Lunch and Drinks
- Any child under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult
- Wear comfortable clothing and footwear for walking around all the places visited during the tour
- Some physical strength is needed for 40-minute walk