Knights Templar – Tomar, Almourol and Dornes
The first stop will be at Dornes, an ancient village, founded by the Romans. At Dornes we will visit the medieval Tower, built in the 12th century by Gualdim Pais, the Knights Templar Grand Master, and will appreciate the breathtaking view over Zêzere river. Departure toward Tomar and discover the Convent of Christ, a World Heritage Site.
The visit to the Convent will include a journey to the Knights Templar Order mystical. The symbolism is all over the building and to understand the hidden meanings of each part of the Convent is to understand the true mission of the Knights. Headquarter of the Knights Templar Order for nearly seven hundred years, the Tomar Convent has thousands of stories to tell.
After lunch, we will visit the Tomar historic centre. The S. João Batista Church was built in “Manuelino” style, the unique Portuguese 16th-century architectural style. We will also visit one of the oldest Synagogues in Europe, the Tomar Sephardic Synagogue and its restored Mikveh.
The last stop will be at Almourol Castle, an amazing 12th-century castle, built by Gualdim Pais and placed on an island, in the middle of Tagus river. Do you know the Knights Templar treasure is waiting for you in Tomar? Come with us and discover it!
- Visit to Almourol Castle.
- Visit to Tomar: Historic Centre, S. João Batista Church and Christ Convent.
- Visit Dornes.
- Scheduling: Private Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English, French, Portuguese, Spanish
- Duration: 8 hours
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- All participants pay the adult price
- A minimum of 2 adults is required to book this tour
- This tour is available Tuesdays to Sundays
- Pick-up servicePick up and drop-off is included for Lisbon central hotels, Lisbon cruise terminal, or Lisbon airport.
- Easy CancellationCancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
- On Request
- Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 12 hours before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Private tour.
- Driver/guide (full time trip leader).
- Tourist luxury vehicle.
- Comfort pack (fresh waters and cleaning wipes).
- Almourol Castle Tickets.
- Pick up and drop-off - for Lisbon central hotels, Lisbon cruise terminal or Lisbon airport.
- Food and drinks.
- Entrance fees (Christ Convent 6€).
- The baggage is limited to one standard suitcase and a small carry-on bag per person.
- Dress code is smart casual, recommended comfortable clothing and shoes.
- Infant seats are available on request if advised at time of booking.
- Pick up is included in the tour for central Lisbon hotel, airport or cruise terminal. Please inform us about the pickup location.
- No smoking or eating inside the vehicle.