Óbidos - Medieval city from Lisbon
Obidos is approximately one hours drive from Lisbon and here you will enjoy visiting the many monuments with their grand architecture whilst learning about the history and unravelling their mysteries.
The name "Óbidos" probably derives from the Latin term oppidum, meaning "citadel", or "fortified city", and the municipality had its origin in an early Roman settlement near the foothills of an elevated escarpment. The region of Óbidos extends from the Atlantic to the interior of Estremadura Province along the rivers and lakes that have been inhabited since the late Paleolithic era.
The town was once part of the dowry of Portuguese queens and the fortress was built by the Templars. Get in touch with the city's soul through your senses as you take time to walk through the street by yourself, free from the confines of a group or time frame.
See the harmony of the architectural designs of the houses and churches and take a walk around the historical walls and feel their texture. Try out the local cherry liquor "Ginjinha”, served in chocolate cups and which can be eaten after drinking it. Also remember to try the regions seasonal fruits.
Enjoy all this while listening to the music in the streets and the hustle and bustle of the people. Remember to breathe in the scent of the flowers that decorate the streets on this unforgettable do-it-yourself tour in Obidos.
NOTE: This tour includes an 8:30 am free pick-up from your hotel or another location that is more convenient to you. You can customize your tour and add other near places, like Sintra or Alcobaça.
- Enjoy walking around this medieval town at your leisure
- See the ancient church of Santa Maria
- Sample Ginja de Obidos a cherry liquor served in chocolate cups
- Learn about the many monuments and their grand architecture
- Visit the granite Obidos Pillory
- Scheduling: Shared Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English, French, Portuguese, Spanish
- Duration: 7 hours
- Skip the Line
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Live GuideEnglish, French, Portuguese, Spanish
- Pick-up servicePick-up drop-off from your hotel or a place of your choice
- Easy CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel at least 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 50% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 3 and 6 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 100% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 2 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- Professional English speaking guide
- Pick-up drop-off from your hotel or a place of your choice
- Tips Gratuities
- Wear comfortable walking shoes
- Remember your suncream