3 Hour Private Fort Kochi and Mattancherry Walking Tour
Start your private walking tour at Fort Kochi visiting Chinese fishing nets, which were introduced by traders from the court of Kublai Khan in the 14th century. Kochi fishermen still use these fishing nets to earn their livelihoods.
Continue your stroll down to St. Francis Church, the oldest European church in India. The church was constructed in 1503 by Portuguese friars and is now the burial place of Vasco da Gama, a Portuguese explorer who led the first ships that sailed directly from Europe to India. The church has a large cemetery that once served as a resting ground for Vasco da Gamma.
Transfer to Mattancherry in Auto Rickshaw /Tuc Tuc /Local Bus. Next, see Santa Cruz Basilica, one the largest and most impressive churches in India. The church has two soaring spires and bright, white-washed exterior. Inside, you will find walls decorated with frescoes, murals, and large paintings depicting scenes from the life of Jesus Christ.
Visit Mattancherry Palace, built by the Portuguese and presented to the Raja of Kochi in 1555. The palace is famous for its stunning murals portraying scenes from Hindu tales, such as the Ramayana and Mahabharata. Next door is the Paradesi Synagogue, the oldest active synagogue in South India. Admire the ornate brass pulpit, the Belgian glass chandelier, and hand-painted Chinese porcelain floor tiles.
End the journey by wandering around the neighbouring Jew Town, a central location for the spice trade, and inhale the aroma of ginger, cardamom, turmeric, and cloves. Later transfer back to your hotel in Fort Kochi or Mattancherry by a Auto Rickshaw/Tuc Tuc.
- Stroll down to St. Francis Church which is the oldest European church in India
- Explore Santa Cruz Basilica - one the largest and most impressive churches in India!
- See the stunning murals at Mattancherry Palace
- Admire the ornate brass pulpit, the Belgian glass chandelier, and hand-painted Chinese porcelain floor tiles at Paradesi Synagogue
- Wander around Jew Town and inhale the aroma of ginger, cardamom, turmeric, and cloves
- Scheduling: Private Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English
- Duration: 3 hours
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Pick-up serviceGuide will meet you at your Hotel in Fort cochin/Mattancherry.
- Easy CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel before 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour. There is 100 % cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel with in or 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- Confirmation will be received within 24 hours of booking, subject to availability
Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 1 days before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Transfer from Fort Kochi to Mattancherry by Rickshaw/ Tuc Tuc
- Hotel pickup and drop-off in Fort Kochi or Mattacnherry
- English-speaking local guide
- Food & Beverages
- Personal expenses
- Note: Jewish Synagogue and Dutch Palace are closed on Fridays, Saturdays, and Jewish Holidays
- Please note that dress codes are conservative throughout India; modest and respectful clothing that covers the shoulders and knees is recommended
- If customers are not located in Fort Cochin, they will need to meet at our office (Address: Carnival Tours, Princess Street, Fort Cochin - Near Shop N Save)