private Scenic Drive Along Coastal Roads Surrounding Llanquihue Lake
The Chilean government encouraged German immigration in 1848, a time of revolution in Germany. Before that Bernhard Eunom Philippi recruited nine working families to emigrate from Hesse to Chile. The origin of the German immigrants in Chile began with the Law of Selective Immigration of 1845.
The objective of this law was to bring people of a medium social/high cultural level to colonize the southern regions of Chile; these were between Valdivia and Puerto Montt. The process was administered by Vicente Pérez Rosales by mandate of the then-president Manuel Montt. The German immigrants revived the domestic economy, and they changed the southern zones.
Your private guide will pick you up from your hotel either in Puerto Varas or Puerto Montt in the morning. We will join the route n 5 to get to LLanquihue village from where we will border the lake towards Frutillar.
During this beautiful and enjoyable road, we will see the German style houses and barns that once represented that wealthy economy during the IX century and according to the time of the year, many products from the earth such as raps, oats, potatoes or beetroots plantations and cattle ranches. Of course, the Osorno volcano with its unique snowed cone dominates the whole lake.
We arrive at the village where you will have free time to look around or visit the German Museum (entrance not included) that shows many of the types of machinery used, water mill, houses and lovely gardens. Or just enjoy the views having a nice coffee and kuchen (cake) at a renowned Teatro del Lago. Located in the main coastal road of the bay. The theatre is considered the largest in the country and the best acoustic theatre ever built in South America.
Every year the musical festival traditionally conducts a continuous 2-week concert, called Musical Festival or “Semanas Musicales” this takes place at the end of January and the first week of February in the theatre. We will return back to Puerto Varas.
This coastal drive will immerse yourself in the relaxed southern rhythm and lifestyle of German settlers in the last century, their commitment and hard sense of community forged the economy of the Lake District.
- Landscape of the Lake and Mountains. Farming landscapes.
- Frutillar Town.
- Llanquihue town.
- Puerto Varas town.
- Road bike along breathtaking scenery
- Scheduling: Private Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English, Italian, Spanish
- Duration: 1 to 2 hours
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Pick-up servicePick up from your hotel in Puerto Varas and or port of call in Puerto Montt at 09:00
- Disability ServicesWheelchair assistance available.
- Easy CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel at least 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 50% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 3 and 6 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 100% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 2 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- On Request
- Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 2 hours before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Private professional English and Italian speaking guide.
- Transportation: Private vehicle.
- Pick up and drop off at the port of Puerto Montt at an extra cost of 40 u$ per person.
- Equipment to bring Water, warm clothes according to weather and time of the year. Comfortable shoes, rain jacket, sun and skin protection (sunglasses, hat).