Full day-Cochamo Walls and River Private Hike
This day hike is offered to people that enjoy walking in the forest while not needing to hike strenuously. These trails were used in the past to smuggle cattle between Chile and Argentina and are one of the essential trails used by the locals who live in the valley of Cochamo.
The whole trek lasts for about 6 hours, depending on the people’s pace. A chance to see the beautiful mountains, incredible flora, fungus, lichens, fresh air, silence and relaxed pace. The drive is one of the most scenic in the region with views of mountains, rivers, lakes Valdivian forest and sea.
The trail runs up the side of the Cochamó River sometimes losing sight of the river itself but never the sound of the water cascading down huge waterfalls and gorges. As you get deeper and deeper in the valley, the granite walls grow larger and larger, and you become encased in a beautiful, pristine forest that is full of towering trees that can live up to 1,000 years.
Cochamo Valley is located in southern Chile, east of Puerto Montt and Puerto Varas cities, the road is tarmac for most of the drive going across Ensenada town, and reaching the mouth of the Puelo Valley into the Estuary of Reloncavi, West of the Argentinean border and Bariloche, in the heart of the Patagonian Andes.
The trails were initially opened by gauchos and local people travelling between the two countries when borders were not evident among Chile and Argentina. Also history and legends say that Buch Cassidy and Sundance kid used come this way to smuggle cattle to sell in Chile.
- Valdivian Forest
- Views of Cochamo Granite Walls
- Views of Volcan Osorno, Calbuco
- Ensanada Village
- Cochamo Town
- Landscape, and sea life
- Pristine river corssing along the road. Petrohue River.
- Scheduling: Private Tour
- Languages offered on activity/tour: English, Italian, Spanish
- Duration: 11 hours
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- A minimum of 2 per people per booking
- Pick-up serviceYou will be picked up from your hotel in Puerto Varas, if you are staying in Puerto Montt there is a surcharge of 20 u$ per person.
- Easy CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel at least 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 50% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 3 and 6 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 100% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 2 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- On Request
- Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 14 days before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Box lunch: sandwich, cereal bar, fruit, snack.
- Entrance fee to the parking,
- Private transportation.
- private guide with Widlernes First Responder Certificate and knowledgeable in native flora and fauna.
- Pick up from Hotels in Puerto Montt. Surcharge of 20 u$ per person
- Travel Insurance
- Safety: Emergency equipment and first aid kit. Need to cross a hanging narrrow bridge. Not suitable for people with vertigo. Ask for alternatives in case the river is low enough.
- Equipment to bring: Warm clothes according to weather and time of the year. Trekking poles , shoes, rain jacket, sun and skin protection (sunglasses, hat).Snack, water 1 lts. Guide: English, Italian and Spanish is spoken, with WFR first aid certificate and expert in native flora and fauna.
- Duration:10 hours. 1,20 hour drive from Pto Varas. Walk: 6 hours.
- The hike runs from late September to April due to the conditions of the trails