Urfa to Mt Nemrut on a Fascinating 4 days Tour
This is a fantastic tour to see some amazing places in Turkey where you will first start with Gaziantep one of the modern provinces of South-Eastern Anatolian Region and also one of the oldest of Hittite origin.
Being the centre of pistachio nut cultivation where you will get a chance to taste Baklava (sweet pastry) and with its extensive olive groves and vineyards, Gaziantep is one of the important and industrial centres of Turkey. While here you will also visit the Gaziantep Mosaic Museum, the old city castle and one of the oldest bazaars in Turkey.
Next, you will go to Sanliurfa (the Prophets' City; also known as Urfa), is a pilgrimage town and spiritual centre. This is where the prophets Job and Abraham left their marks and the Dergah complex of mosques and the holy Gölba?? the area is imbued with a compelling atmosphere redolent of the Middle East.
Fuelled by investment in the nearby Southeast Anatolia Project, combining irrigation projects and community development, a cosmopolitan sheen now complements Urfa's centuries-old heritage. The city's streets hum with an energetic buzz and the nearby temple of Göbekli Tepe is one of eastern Turkey's unmissable destinations.
You will also visit Mount Nemrut, one the highest peaks of the Mesopotamia, with a summit at 2,206 metres above sea level and contains the tomb of King Antiochus I of Commagene that was commissioned by himself. The gigantic statues of gods that each weigh 6 tons and are 10 metres tall and indicate what kind of super-human effort was spent on the construction of the tomb.
- Explore the Gaziantep Mosaic Museum and one of the oldest bazaars
- Visit the cave where the prophet Abraham was born
- visit nearby Harran and see the incredible beehive houses
- See Gobekli Tepe, a hilltop sanctuary erected on the highest point of an elongated mountain ridge
- Hike to the summit of Mount Nemrut
- Scheduling: Private Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English, German, French, Italian
- Duration: 4 days
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- This tour is available as a small group tour or private tour
- Pick-up servicePick up from your Cappadocia hotel
- CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel at least 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 50% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 3 and 6 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 100% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 2 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- Confirmation will be received within 24 hours of booking, subject to availability
Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 3 days before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Transportation by a comfortable AC non smoking Luxurious car/Van with professional driver
- Professional and experienced licensed guide during the tours
- All accommodation
- Entry fees to the sites and museums
- Breakfast at the hotel
- Other services not mentioned
- Personal expenses
- Tips and gratuities (optional)
- Meals that are not states in the itinerary
After some breakfast at your hotel, you will depart from your hotel at approximately 08:00.
Your first stop will be at Kahramanmaras for lunch and a taste of its famous ice cream before continuing onto visit the world-famous Gaziantep Mosaic Museum.
This museum exhibits superb mosaics discovered on the Roman site of Belkıs-Zeugma before the Birecik Dam flooded and damaged most of the site.
We will then visit the old city castle which is located in the centre of the city and copper bazaar which is one of the most special and oldest bazaars in Turkey, and you can find a variety of copper handicrafts.
We will also have the chance to taste famous baklava; a sweet pastry made of layers of filo full of chopped nuts and sweetened and held together with syrup or honey (Baklava is originally from Gaziantep).
After visiting the city, drive to hotel and check-in. Rest of the day at leisure. Overnight stay in Gaziantep.
After breakfast, check-out from your hotel and drive to Sanliurfa which has been occupied since the Babylonians were followed by the Hurrites, Hittites, Assyrians and Greeks.
Today we will visit Urfa Archaeological Museum that exhibits a vast collection, founded from Harran and Gobekli Tepe Area. We will also see the holy sites at the Ainzelha, which is a lake that has millions of domesticated fish.
We will also visit the cave where the prophet Abraham was born then, walk through the local, covered bazaar of Sanliurfa.
Walk through the town to discover the many hidden treasures then the evening is at your leisure.
After you have had breakfast at the hotel, we will visit nearby Harran and see the incredible beehive houses. Harran which the Bible states were the place where prophet Abraham spent some years with his family before moving to Israel, the Promised Land. There are some exceptional photo opportunities in this area.
In the afternoon drive to Kahta city and on the way, you will see Gobekli Tepe, a hilltop sanctuary that is erected on the highest point of a mountain ridge 15 km northeast of the town of Urfa.
What makes Gobeklitepe different in its class is the date it was constructed, which is around twelve thousand years ago, in 10,000 BC.
In the afternoon take a hike to the summit of the mount Nemrut (one of the most popular UNESCO world cultural heritage sites) and watch the sunset, be in awe of the colossal heads and the statues of ancient deities, as you take a step into mythology. This magnificent landmark sits at an elevation of 8000 ft.
The mountain top complex is made up of two flat areas that are strewn with statues and are separated by a false peak of crushed rock. Antiochus constructed the entire complex around 2000 years ago as a dedication to his divine ancestry.
Also, you should take time to visit the old castle, Arsemeia, cross over the still functioning Cendere Bridge (Septimius Severus bridge) dating back to the 3rd century and Tumulus Tomb of Karakus.
After you have had breakfast at the hotel, transfer to Adiyaman Airport and fly back to Istanbul or any other destination.
- Please check if you need a visa to enter Turkey
- Please make sure you have adequate insurance
- Please wear comfortable clothing and footwear while on the tours
- This itinerary is subject to change and may be reversed without prior notice according to weather, museum closing days, daily events or other unforeseen circumstances.