Sigiriya Rock and Dambulla Cave Full Day Tour from Colombo
lore two of Sri Lanka’s UNESCO-listed highlights on a privately guided day trip to Dambulla and the Sigiriya Rock from Colombo. You will be starting your tour at 0600 hrs from your hotel in Colombo, where you will be picked up your chauffeur.
Ensure that you bring a packed breakfast with you if you are unable to have your meal at the hotel. The first stop on your itinerary will be the Dambulla Cave Temple which you will reach by approximately 0930 hrs. View Sri Lanka’s countryside and villages as you journey to the atmospheric Dambulla Cave Temple, a Cliffside cave complex packed with Buddha images and frescoes.
Enter the historic caves of the Golden Temple of Dambulla, dating back to the 1st century BC. View the ancient murals depicting the life story of Lord Gautama Buddha. Look at the hundreds of figurines of Buddha and other deities scattered throughout the five main caves.
Visit the Cave of the Divine King, Cave of the Great King and the Great New Monastery. See the giant golden Buddha Statue just a little distance outside the cave complex. At approximately 1230 hrs you will have lunch at a place of your choice (At your own expense) and reach Sigiriya by 1430 hrs and visit Sigiriya Rock Fortress. Rising from the central plains, the iconic rocky outcrop of Sigiriya is perhaps Sri Lanka's single most dramatic sight.
Near-vertical walls soar to a flat-topped summit that contains the ruins of an ancient civilization, thought to be once the epicentre of the short-lived kingdom of Kassapa Climb the 5th century AD rock fortress, Sigiriya, where the King Kassapa ruled. Walkthrough the entrance framed by the paws of a lion that is quite appropriate for its name, the Lion Rock'.
View the beautiful unfading murals that brought Sigiriya its fame. Climb the steep staircase to see the terraced gardens and still-working cisterns. Walkthrough the tunnels leading to the palace as you get a feel for times long past.
You will be finishing the tour at 1730 hrs and returning to your hotel in Colombo by approximately 2130 hrs. En-route you may stop at Restaurant at your choice and have dinner. (At your own expense)
- Marvel at UNESCO-protected Sigiriya, a ruined fortress on a colossal rock
- Visit the UNESCO-listed Dambulla Cave Temple, a series of monastery caves on a stone cliff
- See traditional villages and lush countryside on a drive into Sri Lanka’s interior
- A full-day private tour of Sigiriya Rock and Dambulla Cave temple
- Scheduling: Private Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English
- Duration: 15 to 16 hours
- Mobile Voucher Accepted
- A minimum of 2 adults is required to book this tour
- Pick-up servicePick up from the your hotel in Colombo.
- Ship to shore “Stress-free” tour guarantee.Get a full refund for non-docking ships or late port arrivals.
- Easy CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel at least 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 50% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 3 and 6 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 100% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 2 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 24 hours before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Hotel Pick & Drop.
- 1 Liter of Bottled Mineral Water Per Person.
- Entrance Fees (Sigiriya Rock Fortress, Dambulla Rock Cave Temple)
- Service of an English-Speaking Chauffer Guide.
- Transport throughout the tour with an air-conditioned vehicle.
- Expenses of Personal Nature.
- Gratuities (Optional).
- Food or Drinks.
- We recommend you wear comfortable footwear suitable for long periods of walking for this tour.
- Please include your hotel/accommodation name and address when making your booking.