Full Day Private Tour to Fátima Sanctuary and Coimbra
Every year, more than 6 million people visit the Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Rosary of Fatima.
Its foundation goes back to the year of 1917 when Our Lady appeared to three little shepherds: Lúcia de Jesus, Francisco Marto and Jacinta Marto.
Since then, Cova da Iria – the place where the sanctuary was erected – is a place of great respect, a sacred ground where faith and pray take the highest emotional feelings. Fatima became one of the largest sanctuaries in the world.
Coimbra was the first capital of Portugal, which emphasises its historical importance in the construction and diffusion of the Portuguese language and culture but, nowadays, it is well known as the student’s city.
Of the numerous religious monuments, we highlight the cathedrals of Coimbra, New and Old Cathedral, the Monastery of Santa Cruz of Coimbra, where are the remains of the First King of Portugal, D. Afonso Henriques, and the Convent of Santa Clara, where a saint of worldwide devotion lies: the Holy Queen Isabel.
- Sanctuary of Fátima
- Basilica of our lady of the Rosary
- Basilica of the Holy Trinity
- Chapel of Appearances
- Houses of Lúcia, Jacinta and Francisco
- University of Coimbra
- Joanina Library
- Old Cathedral of Coimbra
- Santa Cruz Church
- Scheduling: Private Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English, German, Portuguese, Spanish
- Duration: 10 hours
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Pick-up serviceIn your hotel or accommodation in Porto city center
- Easy CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel at least 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 50% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 3 and 6 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 100% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 2 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- Confirmation will be received within 24 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Pick up/drop off at your hotel or accommodation
- Time to wander on your own at Fatima Sanctuary
- Joanina Library, Paço Real, S. Miguel Chapel and University of Coimbra Tower
- Wi-Fi and Bottled water
- Personal expenses
- Any service that is not clearly specified in the inclusions
This tour starts at 08:30 and we set off towards Fátima Sanctuary.
Once in the Sanctuary, a brief introduction will be made to introduce the place and you will have free time to discover the place at your own leisure, where you can wander around, attend a religious celebration or be alone with your devotion.
We'll visit the houses of Lucia de Jesus, Francisco Marto and Jacinta Marto, the shepherds who witnessed the apparitions.
After lunch, we`ll drive to Coimbra.
Once in Coimbra, we will start the visit to the University of Coimbra and to the New Cathedral of Coimbra.
Then, we'll go to Paço das Escolas and visit the Paço Real, the S. Miguel Chapel and one of the most valuable and beautiful libraries in the world – the Joanina Library.
Up on the University Tower, the best view over the city is waiting for us (the admission is seasonal and depends also on the weather conditions).
We'll walk through the historical city centre, meet the fantastic Old Cathedral of Coimbra, pass through the Almedina Doorway and Tower.
Visit the Church of Santa Cruz, where there are the remains of the first King of Portugal, D. Afonso Henriques.
Walk along the river Mondego, cross the bridge of Santa Clara and appreciate Coimbra from the ruins of the Monastery of Santa Clara-a-Velha and from the Monastery of Santa Clara-a-Nova.
After a panoramic view of the city, from an amazing viewpoint, we`ll return to your hotel in Porto.
- Don`t forget your camera!
- Comfortable shoes and clothing.