Learn and See the Origins of Portugal on magical Private Full Day Tours
Guimarães is the cradle of the Portuguese nation. It was in Guimarães that the first king of Portugal, D. Afonso Henriques, was baptised. The important patrimonial and architectural heritage was recognised by UNESCO as a World Heritage site in 2001.
The locals say, with pride, that Portugal started here. Guimarães Castle and Paço dos Duques Palace are a must see to understand it. Nowadays, Guimarães is one of the great tourist attractions of the country and the Northern region.
Braga – ancient Roman city, called Bracara Augusta – is over 2000 years old and is one of the oldest Christian cities in the world. Also known as the city of the archbishops, Braga has vast religious patrimony where the churches predominate and it is home to the oldest cathedral in the country.
Braga is also a modern city with a remarkable technological development and an intense university life. Braga was the European Capital of Youth in 2012 and is the youngest city in Portugal.
- Guimarães Castle
- Dukes of Bragança Palace
- Penha Sanctuary
- Historic Center of Guimarães
- Cathedral of Braga
- Sameiro and Good Jesus Sanctuary
- Santa Bárbara Gardens
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Pick-up serviceIn your hotel or accommodation in Porto city center
- Easy CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel at least 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour. There is 50% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 3 and 6 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour. There is 100% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 2 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- Pick up/drop off at your hotel
- Tickets to Penha Cable Car and Braga Cathedral
- Entrance fees to Guimarães Castle and Dukes of Bragança Palace
- Wi-Fi and bottled water
- Traditional Lunch
- Personal expenses
- Any service that is not clearly specified in the inclusions
We leave from Porto to Guimarães to start our visit at the Guimarães Castle.
Then, we`ll pass through the Chapel of S. Miguel, where our first king was baptized, visit the Dukes of Bragança Palace and, afterwards, walk down the historic street of Santa Maria towards Largo da Oliveira, where we`ll be able to appreciate the UNESCO heritage center and visit the Church of Oliveira.
Go up to Mount Penha by cable car to visit the Penha Sanctuary and enjoy the views over the city.
After having lunch in a traditional restaurant, we`ll drive towards Braga to visit the Good Jesus and Senhora do Sameiro Sanctuaries up the hill. Once at the top, we will be rewarded by the magnificent view.
Going down the hill, the city center is waiting for us. We`ll walk over the ancient city, trough the old streets, the baroque churches and visit the magnanimous Sé Primacial of Braga (the oldest in the country).
Return to Porto
- On winter time, from November to March, the Penha Car Cable is available only on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
- Comfortable shoes and clothing.
- DO NOT forget your camera!
© Copyright 2017 Private Tour Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission!
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of Private Tour Inc.'s Terms & Conditions.