Jökulsárlón -The glacier lagoon
Departing from Reykjavík early morning, we have a long way ahead of us following the southern coastline passing the villages of Selfoss, Vik and Kirkjubaejarklaustur as well as Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss two much-photographed waterfalls.
Continue through the vast desert of Skeidararsandur, an area which can be prone to sandstorms. Many of Iceland‘s biggest glacial rivers run into the Atlantic Ocean off the south shore and each year they carry millions of tons of black volcanic sand, constantly altering the shape of the coastline and creating vast black deserts.
Just before reaching the lagoon, the drive passes Oraefajokull glacier, home to Iceland‘s highest peak, Hvannadalshnjukur, at 2119 m. Jokulsarlon is a stunning glacial lagoon that is constantly changing as the massive glacier tongue retreats. Icebergs of all shapes, sizes and in many hues of blue, turquoise and white, break off from the glacier and float around the lagoon.
You will have time to walk the shores of the lagoon to admire the surreal shapes and take time to photograph the lagoon‘s wonderful, mirror-like reflections. For an even closer view, you can go on a cruise aboard an amphibious vessel and sail amongst the oddly-shaped ice formations. Jokulsarlon is a natural wonder that has to be seen to be believed.
This may be one of the longest day tours from Reykjavik but it is also one of the most highly recommended.
- Diammond beach
- Vatnajokull glacier
- Skaftafell national park
- Glacier Lagoon
- Vik village
- Scheduling: Private Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English
- Duration: 14 hours
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Price is for a group with a maximum number of 6 people
- Pick-up serviceHotel and guesthouse pick up in the Reykjavik greater area.
- Easy CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel at least 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 50% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 3 and 6 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 100% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 2 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- On Request
- Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 2 days before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Private luxury SUV
- Bottel of water
- English speaking driver guide
- Water proof jacket and shoes and a warm sweater are recommended.
- Jeans are not suitable clothing
- Stops will be made where you can purchase lunch