3 Days Mount Sabinyo Hiking
A dormant volcano, Mt Sabinyo is one of the numerous rolling volcanoes that make up the magnificent Virunga mountain range that spans along the borders of Rwanda, Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Due to the extremely rugged nature of the terrain along the Sabinyo’s slopes that has many craters with sharp ridges, the mountain cannot be trekked in the other two countries except in Uganda where they have managed to work out a safe though challenging trail that includes improvising handmade ladders to assist climbers at very steep sections. Like all the other Virunga volcanoes except the highest, Karisimbi that requires 2 days, Mt. Sabinyo is a one day hike and the round trek is 8 hours, 4 hours to the summit and 4 hours back, however depending on the pace, weather, etc…
Hiking activity sets off from the park office after meeting with and briefing by the ranger guide. Walking sticks are provided for free meanwhile the porters are available for hire. You go through vegetation ranges from the bamboo zone between 2400 – 2800m, this is also habitat for the Golden Monkeys which you are chanced at seeing.
Other big wildlife in the park includes Buffaloes, Elephants and Gorillas but are rarely seen on the trail. Between 2800 – 3200m is a beautiful forest patch of Hagenia Hypericum, over 3200 is that Sub-alpine zone that has fewer trees.
This is also the territory of the famous Rwenzori Turaco, a stunning bird which is also endemic to the Albertine Rift region. At the summit, you hike to each of the three summits and get the chance to be at the meeting point of all the countries, and enjoy the best views of all!
- Visit the dormant volcano of Mt Sabinyo
- Witness the magnificent Virunga mountain range
- See wildlife such as Buffaloes, Elephants and Gorillas on your trek
- Also the territory of the famous Rwenzori Turaco
- Scheduling: Shared Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English
- Duration: 2 to 3 days
- Printed Voucher Accepted
- A minimum of 2 adults is required to book this tour
- Pick-up servicePick up from Kigali Airport.
- Easy CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel at least 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 50% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 3 and 6 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 100% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 2 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- Instant Confirmation
- Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 3 days before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Hiking fees
- Park entrance fees
- Accommodation on Full Board. (2x breakfast, 2x lunch, 2x dinner)
- All expenses of personal nature (e.g. drinks, laundry, optional activities, souvenirs etc.).
- Tips and gratuities to rangers, driver/guide, porter, hotel staff, etc;
- International air fares and entry visa to Uganda & Rwanda
A representative from your Lodge will pick from Kigali Airport. He/ she is holding a signpost with your name.
From Kigali Airport he/she will transfer you in about 4, 5 hours to the Lodge overlooking the Virunga volcanoes. You'll sleep in one of their nice self-contained safari cottages.
Have early breakfast and travel to Mgahinga Gorilla National Park, a 40 minutes drive from Kisoro. Meet the rangers and start the hike at 7.30am. Carry packed lunch and at least 2 litres of drinking water.
Return to the evening and transfer back to Kisoro for the overnight.
After breakfast (inclusive) you drive back to Kigali Airport making sure you check in 3 hours before departure time.
- Hard wearing clothes, no bright colours, or no army camouflage clothing should be worn. Greens, khaki and similar neutral clothes are recommended.
- While hiking, your clothes will in all likelihood get very muddy and may not recover to their original state - therefore take old clothing for trekking.
- On this trip you may experience several types of weather. It is important to pack clothes for warm days and cool evenings. Light, quick-drying, practical clothes are advisable for this trip.
- We advise you to arrange an East-Africa visa in advance. This is $100 pp and will allow you to multiple enter both Uganda and Rwanda.
- Your international flight must arrive at 1 pm local time or earlier. If your flight is arriving later we will book a room for you in Kigali at an Extra costs price. We will then pick you up from Kigali the next day.