Explore the Jewish Heritage on This 10 Days Tour From Istanbul
The long history of the Jews in Turkey covers 2,400 years that Jews have lived in what is now Turkey, and there have been many Jewish communities in Asia Minor since the 4th century BCE, and many Portuguese and Spanish Jews that were expelled from Spain were welcomed to the Ottoman Empire (including regions that are part of modern Turkey) in the 15th century. Despite emigration in the 20th century, modern-day Turkey continues to have an active Jewish population.
Jews have a very long history on this land, and the New Testament mentions about Jewish populations in Anatolia been widespread: Iconium (now: Konya) is believed to have a synagogue in Acts 14:1, and Ephesus is mentioned having a synagogue in Acts 19:1 and in Paul’s Epistle to the Ephesians.
Based on actual evidence, there has been a Jewish settlement in Asia Minor since at least the 4th century BCE and most notably in the city of Sardis. The Garden of Eden is also thought by some to have been in Turkey since this is where the Tigris and Euphrates rise.
On this fantastic tour, you will visit Istanbul and see the Ashkenazi Synagogue, Neve Shalom Synagogue and the Ahrida Synagogue and much more. You will then visit Cappadocia with some fantastic landscape, including the magical Fairy Chimneys and the fascinating underground city.
Then onto Izmir where you will see some interesting Jewish sites before heading to the ancient city of Ephesus which is incredible and the Temple of Artemis one of the ancient wonders of the world. You will then head to Sardis and visit the famous Synagogue and Temple of Diana.
The final destination is Pamukkale, where you will see the world-famous pure white travertines and see the ruins of Hierapolis and the Aphrodisias School of Sculpture.
This is a fantastic tour and can be done in either a small group or a private tour.
- Witness some fascinating jewish history in Istanbul
- Explore the spectacular landscape of Cappadocia
- Visit some amazing Jewish heritage in the city of Izmir
- See the ancient city of Ephesus and the Temple of Artemis one of the ancient wonders of the world
- Visit the famous Synagogue and Temple of Diana in the city of Sardis
- Explore the pure white travertines of Pamukkale and the ruins of Hierapolis
- Scheduling: Private Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English, German, French, Italian
- Duration: 10 days
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- This tour is available as a small group or private tour
- Pick-up servicePick up from Istanbul Airport.
- Easy CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel at least 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 50% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 3 and 6 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 100% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 2 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- On Request
- Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 3 days before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Domestic flights in the program
- Transportation by a comfortable AC non smoking Luxurious car/Van with professional driver
- Professional and experienced licensed guide during the tours
- All accommodation
- Entry fees to the sites unless otherwise stated
- Meals as stated in the itinerary
- Other services not mentioned
- Personal expenses
- Tips and gratuities (optional)
- Meals that are not stated in the itinerary
- Make sure your names match exactly as they appear on your passport
- Where comfortable clothing and footwear as there is a lot of walking involved
- Please dress appropriately when entering any religious site
- Wear sun protection especially when you are travelling in the Summer months