Climbing Mount Meru in Tanzania
The trail follows the north rim of the crater, along with a dramatic ridgeline. Once at the summit, the views of Mount Kilimanjaro and down into Meru crater are unforgettable. We offer Mount Meru as a four-day private climb.
However, clients from different parties and operators are often combined to walk with the armed ranger on the lower slopes.
On the lower slopes of the mountain and inside the park, there is a good chance of spotting animals. An armed ranger will accompany your party on the first stage to protect against any wildlife threats.
Mount Meru is ideal for altitude acclimatization and you may elect to climb Mount Kilimanjaro with a lower number of days after climbing Meru. Many people who climb both mountains have a quiet preference for the humble Mount Meru. Although about 4,000 feet lower than Mount Kilimanjaro, Mount Meru is still a very tall mountain.
Do not underestimate Mount Meru. Altitude acclimatization is still the key to a successful summit Meru.
- Mount Meru
- Arusha National Park
- Transfers to and from the route gate(s) (2 transfers)
- 3 Full Fresh Meals Daily
- Professional Tour Guides and armed Rangers
- Languages offered on activity/tour: English
- Duration: 4 days
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Instant Confirmation
- Live GuideEnglish
- Pick-up serviceFor Airport pickup it cost $45 per person for private Car
- Easy CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel at least 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 50% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 3 and 6 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 100% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 2 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- Arusha National Park certificate for your successful summit attempt
- Porter to carry your duffel bag, with maximum weight of 15kg / 32 lbs, from one camp to the next camp
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as hot drinks on the mountain
- Salaries for mountain support crew, as per required by Ministry of Tourism
- Basic first aid kit (for use in emergencies only)
- Chief guide carries a Pulse Ox meter, used to take blood-oxygen level readings of clients twice a day
- Arusha National Park rescue fees ( Rescue Team)
- 3-4 liters of mineral (per Climber) provided daily during the climb
- Hot drinks on the mountain and Hot water for washing will be provided everyday on the mountain
- 3 full fresh meals daily. We provide fresh food on the mountain in plentiful and well prepared by skilled professional cooker (we also consider your choice of food that you would prefer -Vegetarian and Non Vegetarian). Menu especially designed for climber
- Transfers to and from the route gate(s) (2 transfers)
- All park fees, camping fees, rescue fees and team fees
- Government taxes
- Adequate and appropriate number of guides, porters, and cooks for your group
- Tanzania VAT on tourism activities and park fees
- Meals and drinks not specified
- Snacks, personal medicine and water purifying tablets
- Personal hiking/trekking gear – you could rent some of the gear in Tanzania
- Optional but highly recommended travel and medical insurance
- Health requirements (Yellow Fever – only compulsory if you travel to Tanzania via a Yellow Fever infected country, Meningitis & Hepatitis A remains optional, but comes recommended).
- Entry visa for Tanzania (US$50 per passport holder for most nationalities / US $ 100 per visa for USA passport holders)
- Compulsory tips for guides, porters and cook
- Items of a personal nature
- Flights and airport taxes. ( Option We can organize a flight from your destination to JRO)
We depart Moshi or Arusha for Momella Gate in Arusha National Park for the necessary formalities before beginning our trek. The hiking trail begins in open grassland with an armed ranger as the possibility of seeing wildlife – giraffe, zebras, antelope, elephant, and buffalo – is high. We climb steadily through the rainforest until we reach Miriakamba Huts, situated in a grassy glade. Elevation: 4,921 ft to 8,250 ft | Distance: 10 km | Hiking Time: 4-6 hours | Habitat: Rain Forest
We continue climbing through the rainforest until we enter the heath zone accompanied by giant heather and other moorland vegetation. Along the ridge of the saddle, we have views of Mount Meru Crater and the Ash Tray. After arriving at Saddle Huts, there is an option to hike to the top of Little Mount Meru for superb views and to further aid acclimatization. Elevation: 8,250 ft to 11,712 ft | Distance: 8 km | Hiking Time: 3-5 hours | Habitat: Heath
Very early in the morning (around midnight), we begin our climb to the summit. The trail is steep to Rhino Point and then Cobra Point. The path continues along the ridge of ash and rock to the summit Socialist Peak. Elevation: 11,712 ft to 14,977 ft | Distance: 5 km | Hiking Time: 4-6 hours | Habitat: Alpine Desert. Here we enjoy magnificent views of Kilimanjaro and the sunrise before returning to Miriakamba Huts Elevation: 14,977 ft to 8,250 ft | Distance: 13 km | Hiking Time: 4-6 hours | Habitat: Heath.
On our last day, we descend quickly through the tropical rainforest to Momella Gate. At the base of the mountain, our vehicle will meet us and drive us back to the hotel in Moshi or Arusha. Elevation: 11,712 ft to 4,921 ft | Distance: 10 km | Hiking Time: 2-4 hours | Habitat: Rain Forest
- Trekking poles rental, per trip $20
- Sleeping bag rental, Mountain Hardware Lamina, synthetic -30F, per trip $50
- Extra porter, for excess gear, $30 per day
- If you will require Accomodation before Climb or After Climb you can tell us but additional cost will required
© Copyright 2017 Private Tour Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission!
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of Private Tour Inc.'s Terms & Conditions.