The Secret Workshop of the Venetian Puppets
In Santa Fosca, a Venetian artisan has been creating odd and bizarre puppets for 27 years. Since he was a boy, our expert puppet master enjoyed creating dolls. After 3 educational years in the shop of his master in the Tuscany countryside, his mastery knew its best development.
This experience was indeed the fuse that allowed him to open the one that is now his workshop in Venice.
Inside his kingdom, you will breathe a dreamlike and surreal atmosphere. His workshop, located on the first floor of an old Venetian palace dated back XVIII century, was in the past a painting workshop and later a chandeliers warehouse – and this can be seen by the piece of chandelier our artisan found and hung up on the ceiling beam as decorations.
During this visit, you will learn how puppets are shaped using natural materials and following the traditional technique, including the use of a cross with eight threads to move them. Puppets bodies are all made of wood, while feet, head and hands are shaped with a wooden paste and hand painted.
All dresses and costumes are designed and sewed by his sister, seamstress skilled at sewing Venetian Carnival costumes. It takes up to 15 days to create a puppet. Our master’s puppets are exclusive creations, a witness of a now unknown very old tradition. Once upon a time, puppets were used in the ancient puppet shows to entertain guests with shows mixing satire and surprise.
- Discover the workshop, located in an old Venetian Palace
- Learn how puppets are shaped using natural materials
- Scheduling: Private Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English, German, French, Italian, Spanish
- Duration: 45 minutes
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- This tour has to be booked at least 48 hours in advance
- The tour will NOT operate during the following dates: Nov. 1st and 21st, Dec. 24th, 25th, 31st, Jan 1st and 6th, Feb. 20th to 25th
- Easy CancellationCancel up to 2 days (48 Hours) in advance for a full refund
- Instant Confirmation
- Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 2 days before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Visit of the puppets workshop
- Assistant for translation if needed
- Hotel pickup/drop off
- Food, drinks and any other service not specified
- Personal expenses
- The tour will operate rain or shine, in the event of exceptional high tide it might be cancelled and refund will be provided