Doges Palace & St. Marks Skip the Line Venice Tour
The Doge's Palace & the St. Mark's Basilica are among the major symbols of Venice and once you stand in front of them it's not difficult to understand why.
But beside their stunning beauty and majesty, what really makes these places special are the stories and legendary characters behind them.
This is the heart of this tour, you will not only see Venice but really understand it thanks to a passionate, experienced guide who will take you on a journey among the symbols of Venice and the characters that made its history. For centuries, the destiny of the Most Serene Republic was decided from the majestic halls of the Doge’s Palace, where the Doge and his Council used to meet and rule the Republic.
Stepping through the magnificent halls will be like going back to the time of the Republic of Venice, where priceless treasures, art masterpieces and frescos can still be admired today.
Do you know that during the era of the Most Serene Republic every citizen had the opportunity to denounce other inhabitants’ sinful behaviour by anonymously slipping letters through a “Bocca della Verità” (Mouth of Truth)?.
This creative “letter box” will also be encountered during the tour. This walk across time will proceed with a visit to the Prisons. A narrow corridor will take you there, by passing through the celebrated “Bridge of Sighs”; without too much imagination, this name does evoke prisoners’ sighs while looking at their beloved lagoon (and freedom) for the last time before reaching their cell.
Among the famous guests of the Doge’s Palace prisons we can find Giacomo Casanova, the celebrated seducer and adventurer who managed to escape from the prison in 1756.
Follow this with a visit to one of the most beautiful cathedrals in the world: the St. Mark’s Basilica. As the name suggests, this cathedral is bound tightly to Venice’s patron: St. Mark. Here, in fact, shield the Saint’s remains. But how did they end up here and why?
Another example of Venetians’ sharpness. Besides the legendary stories surrounded the Basilica, this is an extraordinary example of Byzantine art as well as the living symbol of Venice’s bound with the East.
The Basilica embodies a mixture of Byzantine, Roman and Venetian styles giving birth to a breathtaking architectural masterpiece. And how about the interiors? They are as stunning as the facades. The Golden Mosaics covering the high walls are breathtaking, together with gold, silver, glass and precious materials that make up the St. Mark’s treasure.
One of the highlights of the visit will be the Pala d’ Oro (“Golden Pala”), an altarpiece made from hundreds of pieces of enamel stuck onto a golden leaf. If you are eager to learn about the charming history of the Most Serene Republic and the glorious past of Venice, this tour will not let you down.
- Discover the history and legends from your expert guide when you enter Doge's Palace
- See the priceless treasures, art masterpieces and frescos found in the Palace
- Pass through the celebrated “Bridge of Sighs” to reach the Doge's Palace Prison
- Learn the legendary stories which surround St Mark's Basilica
- The Basilica is a mixture of Byzantine, Roman and Venetian styles and an architectural masterpiece
- The Golden Mosaics covering the high walls are breathtaking, together with gold, silver, glass and precious materials that make up the St. Mark’s treasure
- See Pala d’ Oro (“Golden Pala”), an altarpiece made from hundreds of pieces of enamel stuck onto a golden leaf.
- Scheduling: Shared Tour
- Languages offered on activity/tour: English, German, French, Italian, Spanish
- Duration: 2 to 3 hours
- Skip the Line
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Please be at the meeting point 15 minutes before departure
- The tour runs fromApril 1st 2019 – October 31st 2019 from Monday to Saturday at 10.45am
- Live GuideEnglish, German, French, Italian, Spanish
- Easy CancellationCancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
- Instant Confirmation
- Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 3 hours before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Professional Tour Guide
- Skip the line ticket
- Personal headphones to hear the guide better
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup/drop off
- Please wear appropriate clothes to enter the Basilica (no bare knees or shoulders)
- For security reasons backpacks are not allowed into the Basilica (free deposit available in Calle San Basso)
- No refund will be accepted for no shows or late arrivals.
- The tour will take place also with rain, in the event of exceptional high tide it might be cancelled and refund will be provided
- Because of safety reasons all visitors have to get through metal detector checks, which might lead to a short line to enter the palace even if having a skip-the line access
- Languages: From Monday to Saturday in English, German, French and Spanish / Italian: Saturday
- The tour will NOT operate during the following dates: April 21st, 22nd and 25th, August 15th
- Excellent 5
- Very Good 4
- Average 3
- Poor 2
- Terrible 1