Byzantine Venice Walking Tour & Skip the Line at St. Mark's Basilica
A tour combination to let you discover Venice's eastern influences through one among the most amazing cathedrals in the world: St Mark's Basilica.
This tour is composed of two parts: first, a walking tour that will make us discover Venice's most famous sites as well as its hidden gems.
An unforgettable way to discover Venice through its narrow alleys called “calli”, countless bridges and wide traditional and picturesque squares, still the heart of Venetian people's social life. Let our professional guide take you on an unforgettable journey among Venice's beauties and history.
The first highlight of the walking tour is St. Mark’s Square, with the description of the majestic St. Mark’s Basilica, the elegant Doge’s Palace, the Clock Tower and the Procuratie.
From St. Mark’s Square, we will move forward to Campo Santa Maria Formosa, where we will admire the SS. Giovanni e Paolo church with the famous Pantheon.
Follow the Scuola Grande di San Marco also knowns as “Great School of Charity” (the Captains of Fortune). Last but not least, head back to St. Mark’s and admire the Malibran
Theatre, step through the famous Mercerie, once the pulsing heart of commercial life back in time, nowadays Venice’s main shopping district between Rialto Bridge and St Mark’s Square.
PLEASE NOTE that this first part of the tour will end at around 10.45, the second part (Basilica) will start at 12.00 and participants are kindly requested to get back to the meeting point by 11.45.
PLEASE NOTE that this tour does not include entrance to main sites such as the Doge's Palace. It is a walking tour, which will completely take place outside (only external comments of the various sites will be provided).
During the second part, we will admire one of the most beautiful and celebrated cathedrals in the world: St Mark's Basilica.
A tour which will make us marvel in front of the majesty and true beauty of the St Mark Basilica, the place where Eastern and Western architecture run into each other. Here, we will learn more about the everlasting history of Venice, about St Mark and how his remains came to rest and shielded here.
A tour not only to see Venice but also to experience this city through its history and glorious past, still shining in its historical sites and legendary characters. Surrounded by the Basilica’s beautiful golden mosaics and marble inlays, our professional guide will take us along the history and the special features of this unique masterpiece of Byzantine art.
Among the priceless treasures shielded in the Basilica, we will have the chance to admire the Pala d’ Oro, a fine example of Byzantine art with its thousands of gems and precious stones, and the Treasury, a splendour of the religious art. In addition, of course, the golden mosaics, maybe the most famous feature of the cathedral.
- Take an unforgettable walking tour among Venice's beauties and history with descriptions of the majestic St. Mark’s Basilica, the elegant Doge’s Palace, the Clock Tower and the Procuratie.
- See St Mark's Square, Santa Maria Formosa, Campo and Church SS. Giovanni e Paolo and Mercerie
- Learn about the everlasting history of Venice, about St Mark and how his remains came to rest and be shielded here.
- Our professional guide will take us along the history and the special features of the unique masterpiece of byzantine art which surrounds the Basilica.
- Admire the Pala d’ Oro, a fine example of Byzantine art with its thousands of gems and precious stones
- See the Golden Mosaic which is possibly the most famous feature of the cathedral
- Scheduling: Shared Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English, German, French, Italian, Spanish
- Duration: 150 minutes
- Skip the Line
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Check-in is 15 minutes prior to the booked tour start time
- This tour is available Monday to Saturday at 09.00 from 1st April to 31st October 2018
- Live GuideEnglish, German, French, Italian, Spanish
- Easy CancellationCancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
- Instant Confirmation
- Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 3 hours before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Skip the line ticket
- Personal headphones to hear the guide better
- Qualified guide
- Food and drinks
- Hotels pickup/drop off
- This first part of the tour will end at around 10.30, the second part (Basilica) will start at 12.00 and participants are kindly requested to get back to the meeting point by 11.45
- Please wear appropriate clothes to enter the Basilica (no bare knees or shoulders)
- For security reasons backpacks are not allowed into the Basilica (free deposit available in Calle San Basso)
- No refund will be accepted for no shows or late arrivals.
- The tour will take place also with rain, in the event of exceptional high tide in Venice or bad weather it might be cancelled and refund will be provided
- Languages: Everyday in English, German, French and Spanish / Italian: Saturday
- The tour will NOT operate during the following dates: April 21st, 22nd and 25th, August 15th
- This tour does not include entrance to the Doge's Palace, only external explanations of the sites will be provided (with the exception of the Basilica which will be visited)
- Excellent 5
- Very Good 4
- Average 3
- Poor 2
- Terrible 1