The Heart of the Dolomites Experience from Bolzano
Daily tour of a total of 280 km through the breathtaking Dolomites, one of the most beautiful and unique alpine regions in the world, a masterpiece of nature and included in the UNESCO World Heritage listing since 2009.
From Bolzano to Cortina d'Ampezzo on the spectacular “Great Dolomites Road”.
Next we take you to admire the symbol of the Dolomites, the Three Peaks of Lavaredo.
Short stop also in Cortina d’Ampezzo, site of the Winter Olympic Games in 1956 and a great ending with the most famous lake in the Dolomites, the Braies Lake.
Departure from Bolzano, the Gateway to the Dolomites, capital of the province South Tyrol. We will cross the Ega Valley that begins at Bolzano and runs eastward between the Rosengarten and the Latemar mountains. This road was built in 1895 when the territory was part of the Austro Hungarian Empire. Part of the route is located in a canyon carved by the river Ega. We will stop at Carezza Lake, the most beautiful lake of the Dolomites: Stay 30 minutes here with a walk around the lake if you want;
Then we will arrive at Costalunga Pass. Near the Pass we will see the historical “Grand Hotel Carezza”, built in 1893, the first luxury hotel in the Dolomites which hosted very important guests like the Empress Sissi, Winston Churchill, Agatha Christie;
From the Costalunga Pass, we will reach the Fassa Valley in Trentino: we will pass through the towns of Vigo di Fassa and Canazei to arrive under the imposing peaks of the Sella Group.
From here begins a long series of 27 hairpins bends (switchbacks) that will lead us to the famous Pordoi Pass at an altitude of 2.239 meters above sea level. Stay here for one hour if you decide to arrive with the cable car to Sass Pordoi (altitude of 2950 meters: the cable car is open from late May until mid-October and from Christmas to Easter);
Going down the other side of Pordoi Pass we will enter the region Veneto and we will reach the town of Arabba, a very important ski centre in winter;
After 30 minutes we will stop at Andraz Castle: built in 1027, it is one of the oldest castles in the Dolomites and it is really amazing how it was possible to build this castle at 1800 meters above sea level, 1000 years ago ....
Next stop at Falzarego Pass - 2.105 meters above sea level. Here it is possible to arrive by cable car to the top of Piccolo Lagazuoi (2752 meters ) where it is possible to admire a unique panorama of the Dolomites;
Now we go down and we reach Cortina d'Ampezzo, The Pearl of the Dolomites. Then we will go forward in the direction of the Tre Croci Pass to reach the Misurina Lake, near The Three Peaks of Lavaredo (Tre Cime di Lavaredo) These are the best-known mountains in the Alps as well as the most photographed and the most represented on postcards and calendars.
The most anticipated time is at the end: the incredible Braies Lake that attracts more than 5000 visitors a day.
Return to Bolzano via an alternative route, with a few curves, through the Pusteria and Isarco Valleys. On the way back (about 2 hours) we will see: • The fortress in Rio Pusteria; • The Monastery of Sabiona; • Trostburg/Castel Forte above Ponte Gardena.
Arrival in Bolzano/Bozen in the late afternoon.
- Admire all three of the most beautiful lakes in the Dolomites
- Admire the 3 Peaks of Lavaredo, the true symbol of the Dolomites
- Visit Cortina d'Ampezzo, location of the 1956 Winter Olympics
- Visit the famous Braies Lake
- Benefit from a private tour for your party only
- Go along the famous Great Dolomites Road
- Scheduling: Private Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English, Italian
- Duration: 8 to 10 hours
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Pick-up servicePick-up service in the reception area of your hotel in Bolzano. Pick-up is available from the region of Trentino-South Tyrol (maximum distance from Bolzano, 50 km)
- Easy CancellationCancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Tour Leader/Driver with license and English/German/Italian speaking
- All costs for service car, toll roads and parking
- 22% of taxes (VAT: Value Added Tax)
- Bottle of water
- Lunch break
- Clothing and shoes based on weather forecasts. In the high mountains you can find low temperatures even in summer.
- Excellent 5
- Very Good 4
- Average 3
- Poor 2
- Terrible 1