Private Panoramic Tour of The Great Dolomites Road From Bolzano
The roads of the Dolomites, with many Passes and heights above 2,000 meters, offer great views of these beautiful mountains. For many people these mountains are the most beautiful in the world, surely the Dolomites are the most magnificent in Europe: in any case are absolutely unique!
The Great Dolomites Road, built in 1909, runs through the Dolomites from Bolzano to Cortina d’Ampezzo.
Departure from Bolzano, the Gateway to the Dolomites, capital of the province South Tyrol. We will cross the Ega Valley that begins at Bolzano and runs eastward between the Rosengarten and the Latemar mountains. This road was built in 1895 when the territory was part of the Austro Hungarian Empire. Part of the route is located in a canyon carved by the river Ega. We will stop at Carezza Lake, the most beautiful lake of the Dolomites: 30 minutes of staying with a walk around the lake if you want;
Then we will arrive at Costalunga Pass. Near the Pass, we will see the historical “Grand Hotel Carezza”, built in 1893. This was the first luxury hotel in the Dolomites which hosted very important guests like the Empress Sissi, Winston Churchill, Agatha Christie;
From the Costalunga Pass, we will reach the Fassa Valley in Trentino: we will pass through the towns of Vigo di Fassa and Canazei to arrive under the imposing peaks of the Sella Group.
From here begins a long series of 27 hairpins bends (switchbacks) that will lead us to the famous Pordoi Pass at an altitude of 2.239 meters above sea level. Stay for one hour if you decide to arrive with the cable car to Sass Pordoi (altitude of 2950 meters: the cable car is open from late May until mid-October and from Christmas to Easter);
From the Pordoi Pass we return a few kilometres to reach the Sella Pass: here the landscape is really impressive with the Sella vertical walls that stand right in front of us... From the Sella Pass we can admire the Marmolada glacier (3,343 m) and the majestic Sassolungo (3,181 m), the most famous mountain in Gardena Valley: 10 minutes stop for photos;
Coming down from the Sella Pass we will enter the Gardena Valley, the best-known tourist valley of the Dolomites. We will spend at least one hour in its largest town, the beautiful Ortisei for lunch break and visit the town;
From Ortisei, in less than an hour, we'll be back in Bolzano.
- Admire beautiful Lake Carezza under the imposing peaks of Latemar mountain
- Journey through the Fassa Valley and see its important town of Canazei
- Travel a road of 27 dramatic hairpin bends en route to the Pordoi Pass
- Take the cable car up to Sass Pordoi for breathtaking views of the Dolomite Mountains
- Visit the famous Gardena Valley and stop for lunch in Ortisei
- Benefit from a private tour for your party only
- Scheduling: Private Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English, Italian
- Duration: 6 hours
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- A minimum of 2 adults is required to book this tour
- Not recommended for children under the age of 4
- Pick-up servicePick-up service in the reception area of your hotel. Pick-up is available from the region of Trentino-South Tyrol (maximum distance from Bolzano, 50 km)
- Easy CancellationCancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
- Instant Confirmation
- Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 2 days before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Tour Leader/Driver with license and English/German/Italian speaking
- All costs for service car, toll roads and parking
- 22% of taxes (VAT: Value Added Tax)
- Bottle of water
- Pick up and drop off is available from the region of Trentino-South Tyrol (maximum distance from Bolzano, 50 km)
- Lunch break
- Ticket price for the cable car to Sass Pordoi (optional). The cable car is open from mid May to mid October and from Christmas to Easter
- Clothing and shoes based on weather forecasts. In the high mountains you can find low temperatures even in summer.
- Excellent 5
- Very Good 4
- Average 3
- Poor 2
- Terrible 1