One Day Combined Tour: Colosseum & Catacombs Tour With Pickup
After being picked up from your hotel (if centrally located and accessible), begin your day with a visit to two of the most important Archeological Area of Rome.
Walk in the footsteps of giants on this guided tour through the heart of the Roman Empire. Travel back in time, embraced by 360 degrees of jaw-dropping Roman architecture. Learn the history behind it all, from the minute to the magnificent.
Contemplate the genius that took the Colosseum from concept to reality in 70/80 AD, centuries before the advent of modern engineering. Once the most famous meeting place in the world, the amphitheatre is estimated to have once held 50,000/80,000 spectators.
Your pass allows you to skip hours of long lines to enter the Colosseum will enable you to skip hours of long lines to enter the Colosseum directly. Once inside, breathe in the bloody past of the monument, brought to life by your passionate, expert guide. Standing for nearly two millennia, the structure has been a symbol of both glory and scorn, serving vastly different purposes over the course of history.
Just outside, you'll see the magnificent Arch of Constantine. Continuing the walking tour, discover the excavated ruins of the Roman Forum archaeological site, where many structures remain intact to this day. For a city founded in 753 BC, this is no small feat. Continue exploring the breathtaking Palatine Hill, ending your tour with a deeper connection to the history of Rome and a strong foundation of knowledge to continue exploring Rome.
Before the second part of the tour, enjoy a typical Italian lunch with pizza included in the price and then continue the visit to two of the essential Basilicas in the world; the Basilicas of Saint John in Lateran and Saint Mary Major.
The Basilica of Saint John in Lateran is the oldest of Rome's four main basilicas and is home to the Holy Steps, one of the city's most important pilgrimage sites. From there, head to the Basilica of Saint Mary Maggiore, which houses a fantastic collection of historical and religious artefacts. Admire 5th-century mosaics and the remarkable Crypt of the Nativity.
Then continue along the important Appian way with your guide, passing the Chapel of Domine Quo Vadis before arriving at the ancient Roman underground Catacombs. Explore these remarkable subterranean cemeteries, some of which were started in the 2nd century. See amazing historical artwork in the catacombs, and learn about how these underground passageways give a window into the early days of Christianity.
- Breathe in the bloody past of the Colosseum
- Discover the excavated ruins of the Roman Forum archaeological site and Arch of Constantine
- Enjoy a typical Italian lunch with pizza
- Admire 5th-century mosaics and the remarkable Crypt of the Nativity
- Explore the remarkable subterranean cemeteries of the Catacombs
- Scheduling: Shared Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English, German, French, Spanish
- Duration: 8 hours
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Children aged 0 - 2 are free of charge
- Pick-up servicePick up from centrally-located hotels.
- Easy CancellationCancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
- Instant Confirmation
- Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 1 days before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Pickup (only at centrally located hotels)
- Transport from the Colosseum to the second part of the tour
- Entrance ticket to the Colosseum and Catacombs
- Expert local guide
- Optional gratuities
- Personal expenses
- Please note that due to Colosseum security checks, large bags, trolleys or backpacks are not allowed inside the Archaeological Area. Please leave large items at the Hotel, to avoid bags inspection which could cause delays.
- Pickup service is provided from centrally located hotels. Please write us an e-mail 24 hours before the tour starts to arrange your pickup time. Hotel pickup may be as early as one hour prior to tour start time. Please be ready in your hotel lobby 10 minutes prior to agreed pickup time.
- The tour includes a drop-off service in Rome City centre. You can drop off at one of the following I Love Rome stops: Stazione Termini, S.Maria Maggiore, Piazza Barberini, Via Ludovisi, Largo Santa Susanna.
- Excellent 5
- Very Good 4
- Average 3
- Poor 2
- Terrible 1