Basilicas and Secret Catacombs Tour
Visit two of the most important basilicas in the world and the mysterious catacombs. See the worshipped Holy Stairs at St. John in Lateran.
After being picked up from your hotel (if centrally located and accessible), begin your day with a visit to two of the most important Basilicas in the world; the Basilicas of Saint John in Lateran and Saint Mary Maggiore.
The Basilica of Saint John in Lateran is the oldest of Rome's four main basilicas and is home to the Holy Steps, one of the city's most important pilgrimage sites. From there, head to the Basilica of Saint Mary Maggiore, which houses an amazing collection of historic and religious artefacts. Admire 5th-century mosaics and the remarkable Crypt of the Nativity.
Then continue along the historic Appian way with your guide, passing the Chapel of Domine Quo Vadis before arriving at the ancient Roman underground Catacombs. Explore these remarkable subterranean cemeteries, some of which were started in the 2nd century.
See amazing historic artwork in the catacombs, and learn about how these underground passageways give a window into the early days of Christianity.
- Journey inside and explore the Catacombs on the ancient Appian way
- See the primitive Basilicas
- Walk through the famed Basilica of St. John in Lateran
- Scheduling: Shared Tour
- Languages offered on activity/tour: English, German, French, Spanish
- Duration: 3 hours
- Skip the Line
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Tours operate Mondays, Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays at 2:30 pm except for religious holidays
- Chidlren aged 0 -2 are free of charge
- Pick-up servicePick up at 1:30 pm from centrally-located hotels.
- Easy CancellationCancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
- Instant Confirmation
- Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 1 days before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Pickup (only in hotels listed in central Rome)
- Entrance ticket to Catacombs
- Expert local guide
- Wireless headsets
- Drop off in Rome city centre (at the stops)
- Optional gratuities
- No revealing clothing should be worn and shoulders should be well covered
- It is forbidden to bring strollers, have bulky bags and carry umbrellas on your person
- If you have a metal coated pacemakers, all relevant paperwork/ID cards should be carried for security checks
- Excellent 5
- Very Good 4
- Average 3
- Poor 2
- Terrible 1