Westman Islands Tour
Formed by volcanic eruptions over the past 12,000 years, the 15 islands that make up the Westman Islands archipelago, or Vestmannaeyjar in Icelandic, are quite young, in geological terms. With jagged sea cliffs, volcanic craters and world-class restaurants, the main island of Heimaey is a unique place to visit with a variety of activities to choose from.
Journey to the Westman Islands
The journey begins once embarked on a comfortable Gray Line coach, and you depart from Reykjavík heading down the southern coastline of Iceland. Once arrived at the Landeyjahöfn harbour, you will embark on the Herjólfur ferry, and the 45-minute voyage across the sea to the island of Heimaey begins. Once arrived on the island, there are many ways to make the most out of your day.
The activities below are at an extra charge
Heimaey Circle Boat Tour
Departing from the historic harbour which was almost lost in the volcanic eruption of Eldfell in 1973, the boat tour takes you to parts of the inhabited island of Heimaey, and some of the other unique islands that make up the Westman Islands. Along the way, you will see some of the most magnificently colourful ocean caves, the bird cliffs along the lava coastline as well as the impressive natural rock formation known as Elephant Rock.
Seabirds and whales are a common sighting, although not guaranteed, and passengers will experience the fantastic acoustics of the Cliff Cave with live music. Certainly, one of a kind experience not to be missed.
Duration: approximately 1.5 hours
Departure: daily at 11:00
from May 15h-September 15th
Natural History Bus Tour
Sitting on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, the Westman Islands are home to a unique landscape made up of volcanoes, lava, and windswept cliffs, and this bus tour takes you on a trip to discover it. Along the way, you will learn about the volcanic eruptions that formed this small island, see the ruins of the first settler, stand in the windiest place in Europe and explore the small town of 4,500 inhabitants, Vestmannayjabær.
Duration: approximately 2 hours
Departure: daily 13:45 (1:45 pm)
Please consider that all trips are depending on weather conditions and wildlife sighting cannot be guaranteed.
Eldheimar Volcano Museum
In the early hours of June 23rd 1973, the volcano Eldfell erupted, forcing the evacuation of 5,300 inhabitants, and continued to spew lava for the next five months, covering nearly 20% of the island. Visitors to the volcano museum get a glimpse into the lives of the inhabitants before, during and after the eruption as well as a recently excavated home that had been buried under the volcano’s lava.
A delightfully delicious family-run restaurant in the heart of the Westman Islands is the ideal place to stop for lunch or a snack. Using fresh and mostly local ingredients, the restaurant offers healthy comfort food made from scratch at affordable prices, that you can recreate at home from one of their three best-selling cookbooks.
- Bus transfer across the South Coast lowlands
- Spectacular views from the ferry of the Westman Islands and the southern coast of Iceland
- The opportunity to tour the Westman Islands by boat and explore the deep caves, jagged cliffs and wildlife sanctuaries along the way
- The possibility to tour Heimaey Island by bus and come up close to the volcanoes that have formed it
- The option to learn more about the volcanic history of Vestmannaeyjar at the Eldheimar Volcano Museum
- The opportunity to sample the local fare at one of Iceland’s most famous restaurants, Gott
- Scheduling: Shared Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Children from the age of 12 - 15 pay a reduced rate
- Children from the age of 0 - 11 are free of charge
- This tour operates from May to September
- Pick-up servicePick up from your centrally located accommodation in Reykjavik
- Easy CancellationCancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
- Instant Confirmation
- Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 12 hours before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Complimentary pick-up and drop-off for hotels, guesthouses and bus stops
- Round trip transportation by bus to the Landeyjahöfn harbour
- Round trip passage on the ferry
- Other services not mentioned
- Personal expenses
- Optional Gratuities
- If you want to add any of the additional activities onto your tour please email email@example.com
- Please present your electronic travel voucher/ticket at the time of tour departure.
- Pick up from hotels, guesthouses and designated bus stops starts 30 minutes before the tour departure time stated on your voucher.