Lava Cave, Thermal Pool and Waterfalls
Iceland is known for its geological phenomena. Experience them in action from caves formed by volcanic eruptions to hot springs and water filtering up through lava fields and out as waterfalls. Víðgelmir is a lava cave formed 1100 years ago by an eruption from under nearby Langjökull glacier.
Deildartunguhver is the most powerful hot spring in Europe, due to its very high flow rate producing 180 l/sec of hot water. Flowing from beneath Hallmundarhraun lava field, Hraunfossar is not one large waterfall but a series of small waterfalls that gently cascade across 900 meters into the Hvítá river
Much of the startling beauty of Iceland comes from its volcanic roots. On this tour, you'll get a chance to explore the remnants of a long-ago eruption, marvel at boiling hot springs and tinkling waterfalls and reflect on the day’s journey soaking in a natural thermal pool.
Before descending into the tunnels of Víðgelmir we will begin our exploration by taking in the steaming Deildartunguhver hot spring. It produces an astounding amount of hot water making it the most productive in Europe. The bubbling and spurting hot water from Deildartunguhver heat towns and nearby areas and is home to a small plant found nowhere else in Iceland.
For about 900 meters along the edge of the mighty Hallmundarhraun lava field, water filters up through the rocks and down into the Hvítá river in innumerable tiny waterfalls and rapids. The sight and sound of the gently rushing water are downright mesmerizing.
Víðgelmir lava cave is known as the mightiest cave in Iceland and once you have experienced it for yourself you will agree. Formed by flowing lava during an eruption in 900 CE, the formations and colours of the cave are almost otherworldly in their hues and textures. The cave is large enough to accommodate a walkway and lights making it easily accessible and with our knowledgeable tour experts leading the way, you will be sure to have a memorable journey into Iceland’s underworld.
To round off our journey, we will stop at Húsafell, take a moment to relax and reflect on the day’s journey by soaking in a natural thermal swimming pool.
- Visit the 1100 years old Víðgelmir lava tube cave
- Explore lava tubes that were once filled with flowing hot magma
- Seeing the most powerful hot spring in Europe, Deildartunguhver
- Marvel at the picturesque Hraunfossar waterfalls
- Relax and recharge at Húsafell geothermal pool
- Scheduling: Shared Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English
- Duration: 10 to 11 hours
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Pick-up servicePick up from hotels, guesthouses and designated bus stops in Reykjavik available.
- Easy CancellationCancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
- Instant Confirmation
- Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 2 hours before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Complimentary pick up and drop off for hotels, guesthouses and bus stops
- Professional travel guides
- All safety gear for caving, Helmets, headlights etc.
- Admission to the Húsafell thermal pool
- Any expense of personal nature
- Please don't forget to bring a bathing suit and towels.
- We recommend you wear warm clothing including gloves and a hat during this tour.
- Excellent 5
- Very Good 4
- Average 3
- Poor 2
- Terrible 1