Inside the Glacier and Snowmobile Adventure
The adventure of a lifetime awaits you at the Jaki basecamp in the húsafell area where you mount a snowmobile and travel up langjökull glacier to the spectacular ice cave where you will explore the heart of the ice cap, into the glacier.
With a significant portion of its land mass covered in glaciers, Iceland is a country packed with sub-zero adventures and this tour is no exception. Riding a snowmobile on a majestic glacier to reach the impressive man-made wonder of the ice cave deep into the ice cap truly is a once-in-a-lifetime journey!
Once safely embarked on our Grayline coach, the journey through the scenic mountains and valleys of west Iceland begins. Heading north-west from Reykjavik, the first stop on the tour is the Deildartunguhver hot spring. About 180 litres of boiling water emerging every second, it is the most powerful hot spring in Europe and a mighty sight to behold.
Continuing on to the charming area of húsafell, lunch is available for purchase at either the local bistro or shop before embarking on the glacial voyage.
Basecamp Jaki is where the snowmobiles await and the glacier adventure begins. After suiting up with the necessary equipment and a safety briefing from the snowmobile guide, visitors begin navigating up the glacier. As you journey up the snow-covered cap, this unique landscape offers a rare photographic opportunity.
Visitors step off the snowmobiles once they have arrived at the ice cave and are invited to explore the heart of the ice cap with the guide. Stretching close to 300 metres into the glacier, the most brilliant shades of crystalline blue can be seen within its many tunnels and caverns.
Upon return from the glacier and heading onwards, the final stop on the tour is at the wondrous Hraunfossar waterfalls where glacial water emerges from the Hallmundarhraun lava field. With a deep and sombre history, the many surrounding walkways offer a variety of views over the falls and rushing river below!
- Riding up Langjökull glacier on a snowmobile
- Journeying deep into the heart of an ice tunnel and beholding the glacial environment of an ice cap
- Witnessing Deildartunguhver, the most powerful hot spring in Europe
- Admiring the astounding Hraunfossar waterfalls
- Scheduling: Shared Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English
- Duration: 10 to 11 hours
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Children under the age of 6 are not permitted on the snowmobiles
- A maximum of 2 people per snowmobile is required
- Pick-up servicePick up from hotels, guesthouses and designated bus stops in Reykjavik available.
- Easy CancellationCancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
- Instant Confirmation
- Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 2 hours before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Complimentary pick up and drop off for hotels, guesthouses and bus stops
- Round-trip transportation
- Professional tour guide
- Expert guided snowmobile ride and exploration of the ice cave
- Necessary gear for snowmobiling - helmet, hat & insulated coveralls
- Crampons for the ice cave
- Any expense of personal nature not mentioned above
- Warm clothes such as fleece or wool, jacket or coat, and proper footwear are essential
- A valid driver’s license is required to operate the snowmobile