Golden Circle & South Coast Private Tour
Combining the highlights of Iceland’s Golden Circle and South Coast all into one day, this tour will leave you in awe of Iceland’s raw and rugged beauty.
Embark on a journey to experience the tectonic plates, geothermal geyser area, black sand beach, basalt columns and the many waterfalls on the doorstep of Reykjavik.
A voyage back in time
The journey begins on the comfortable Gray Line Iceland coach heading east and into the UNESCO designated world heritage site, Thingvellir National Park. The birthplace of Althingi, Iceland’s parliament founded in 930 AD, this is also where the tectonic plates are slowly pulling apart to create a rift valley.
Wet and wild
Deep in the interior of the Golden Circle is the colossal Gullfoss waterfall where several walkways take you around and up close to the two tiers of gushing water. Continuing along the scenic route, the next stop is home to “The Great Geysir” hot spring—the namesake of all geysers. The geothermal area is where the active Strokkur geyser blasts boiling water high up into the air every few minutes.
South Coast gems
Heading onwards to the picturesque South Coast and the captivating Skógafoss waterfall, the stairs along the side allow you to walk right to the top for a spectacular view of the falls and the valley below.
At the next stop, black pebbles gradually turn into sand on the mystical Reynisfjara beach where the towering basalt rock formations can be climbed and the otherworldly Reynisdrangar sea stacks can be seen just offshore.
To end the magical day, you are taken to Seljalandsfoss waterfall where you have the opportunity to walk behind the waterfall and feel the spray on your skin—a true feast for the senses.
Memories that last a lifetime
Loaded with historical facts and captivating tales, your knowledgeable Iceland tour expert will fill your imagination and bring astonishing landmarks to life. The pictures you take on your journey with Gray Line Iceland will become all the richer with the memories and stories behind them.
- Thingvellir National Park—walk through the valley where the tectonic plates are drifting apart, and trace the steps of Iceland’s early settlers where brutal Viking-age justice was carried out and the Althingi parliament was founded
- Waterfalls—feel the raw power of some of Iceland´s most famous waterfalls: colossal Gullfoss, enchanting Seljalandsfoss and breathtaking Skogafoss
- Geysir geothermal area—watch in awe as the geyser Strokkur launches boiling water into the air
- Black sand beach—behold the striking basalt columns, supernatural black sand, and immense sea stacks of Reynisfjara
- Scheduling: Private Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English
- Duration: 11 hours
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- This tour operates from June to September 2020
- Children from the age of 12 - 17 pay a reduced rate
- Children up to the age of 11 are free of charge
- Pick-up servicePick up from your centrally located accommodation in Reykjavik
- Easy CancellationCancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
- Instant Confirmation
- Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 2 hours before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Complimentary pick-up and drop-off for hotels, guesthouses and designated bus stops in Reykjavik
- Round trip transportation
- Professional tour guide
- Free wi-fi on the transport
- Other services not mentioned
- Personal expenses
- Optional Gratuities
- Returning from the tour, passengers are dropped off at either their pick-up point or the closest possible point.
- Shuttles transfer passengers to the Gray Line terminal at Skarfabakki where passengers check in for their tour 15 min. before departure.
- Shuttles pick up passengers 30 minutes before the scheduled tour departure time. To help ensuring the quickest possible collection we kindly ask you to stand by for pick up in front of your hotel, guest house or at your designated bus stop when pick up starts.
- Food and beverage available for purchase at most stops as well as restrooms at most stops
- This is a family friendly tour