Guided Somme Battlefields Tour, visit the Australian John Monash Center, small group
Go on our Somme battlefield tour with our guide and explore this place of remembrance commemorating World War I. Among other things, you will see the newly built John Monash Centre in Villers-Bretonneux, a vibrant tribute to Australian soldiers.
Tour the battlefields and other memorial sites (Beaumont-Hamel, Lochnagar Crater, Pozières, Mont St. Quentin)You will depart directly from your lodging in central Paris in an air-conditioned bus with a professional tour guide-chauffeur. After about two hours of driving, you will arrive in the Somme region and begin your outing with stops at the memorial sites which comprise the Circuit du Souvenir ("Remembrance Trail").
You will visit the town of Beaumont-Hamel where many Canadian soldiers perished and you will see the Newfoundland Memorial, a commemorative park that recounts the Battle of the Somme. Immerse yourself in the world of warfare as you explore the trenches, cemeteries and memorial sites. In 1997, this site was designated as a "National Historic Site of Canada". Each year the Canadian government pays homage to the soldiers of Newfoundland on July 1.
Your Somme battlefield tour will include the Lochnagar Crater, a place for contemplation; the city of Pozières, which was heavily damaged during the 1916 Battle of the Somme; and Mont Saint Quentin, the peak that looks over the Somme region to the north of Péronne.
Next, you will head to Péronne for lunch on your own. After your meal, you will have free time to visit the Historial in Péronne, which traces the history of the Battle of the Somme in 1916, where soldiers from Australia fought alongside French soldiers.
You will then head to Villers-Bretonneux for a tour of the city and the Australian Memorial. This is one of the most prominent sites commemorating the Great War, during which Australian troops won great renown. Your next stop will be the brand-new Sir John Monash Centre, an interpretation and memorial site named after an Australian major general from World War I. This memorial was commissioned and funded by Australia, which is why Australian Governor-General Peter Cosgrove travelled to monitor the progress of construction work.
Its goal is to shed light on Australia's role in this conflict, in which 400,000 Australian soldiers fought. During his visit, the Governor-General of Australia said, " We will continue to tell our people that there are many other things to see in this area", namely Picardy, which is a key destination for remembering the major battles waged between 1914 and 1918. You can also tour the cemeteries and tower at the Australian National Memorial, where the names of nearly 11,000 Australian soldiers who gave their lives for France are engraved. Villers-Bretonneux was the site of one of the most horrific battles of the Great War.
It is important to note that the Somme Battlefields will be added to the list of UNESCO World Heritage sites in 2018 to coincide with the centennial of the Armistice. This is a milestone for tourism in the Somme region, which aims to position itself as a must-see place of remembrance for Australians and Canadians.Tour of Historial in PéronneTour of Australian Memorial in Villers-BretonneuxTour of John Monash Centre in Villers-Bretonneux"
Departure at around 4.30pm to arrive at your Paris accommodation at around 7.00pm
- Somme battlefield tour to honour and remember the great battles of WWI
- Dive into the history of the first world war
- Pay your respects to the Australian and Canadian soldiers who died for France
- Discover the new John Monash Centre for Australian soldiers
- Scheduling: Semi-Private Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English
- Duration: 11 hours
- Printed Voucher Accepted
- Easy CancellationFree cancellation up to 3 calendar days before departure (Central European Time). Beyond that period, the following fees apply: 2 calendar days prior service: 50% of tour price (Central European Time) 1 calendar day prior service: 100% of tour price (Central European Time)
- Instant Confirmation
- Visit the History of Péronne
- Visit of the Australian Memorial in Villers Bretonneux
- Visit of the Center John Monash in Villers Bretonneux
- Transfers to and from your accommodation
- You will receive your confirmation and your tour voucher in 2 separate emails.
- Excellent 5
- Very Good 4
- Average 3
- Poor 2
- Terrible 1